Aggressive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I brewed a hefeweizen last Sunday, OG was 0156. The first 30 hrs of fermentation were the most insane I've seen.

At one point, the blow off tube was clogged and pressure was threatening to blow off the lid. You could hear it whistling every couple minutes then it would blast through to blow off and produce a flurry in the jug. I cleaned out the tube twice.

After 9 days it's sitting at .020, it should be around 15 right?

I just emptied out the jug I was using with the blow off tube, there was a decent amount of trub in it. Is it possible that the aggressive fermentation blew out some of the yeast?

Yes,I have seen this a number of times with my blow offs. Still there should have been enough to finish the beer. At least that has been my experience.

I thought about capturing and reusing the yeast but have been lazy and not rigged up a proper system.

I guess I'm a little worried that it's not finished after day 9. I removed the blow off and installed an airlock. There is still some activity, not much, but some.

By the time I realized there trub in my jug most of it was down the drain.

I guess I'm a little worried that it's not finished after day 9. I removed the blow off and installed an airlock. There is still some activity, not much, but some.

By the time I realized there trub in my jug most of it was down the drain.
That's what I figured. I suppose that it is possible. You could try to warm it up to possibly rouse the yeast into some final activity. If you fermented in a carboy or Better Bottle there is generally yeast clinging to the angled edge towards the opening.

RDWHAHB wins again!

Kegged it today at 1.016. A little high for the style, but my OG was high as well. Going to crash carb it, should be ready for game 2 of the Cup Finals on Sunday.

Back