Need Help 1 gallon mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_arnett

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum. (signed up seconds ago) and also new to brewing.

I made my second 1 gallon mead (3 pounds of honey) in a bucket and it doesn't have a great seal, so the airlock isn't bubbling.
It's been fermenting for 14 days. It seems to have slowed down but how do I know if it's ready to rack?

I did an initial gravity reading and it was 70. I'm guessing I need to do my second.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Try to get a perfect seal next time — infections aren't fun.

2. You may take a reading. If it's around 1.010 or lower, rack to a jug and wait for it to clear.

Yeah I aren't using that bucket again. I'll take a reading to check.
Thank you.

Hi Dave - and welcome.
Truth be told using a bucket as a primary fermenter is a good idea. You simply cover the top with a clean cloth. No need to seal the primary - unless you want to see and hear the fermentation going on.
During active fermentation the yeast produce enough CO2 to blanket the surface of the mead or wine and more than enough gas is produced to prevent any wild yeast or fungi from infecting your mead. The cloth cover has the added advantage of allowing you and indeed, encouraging you to stir the mead several times a day a) to incorporate air into the fermentation (good for the yeast) and b) to expel CO2 (CO2 is not good for yeast). When the gravity falls closer to 1.005 (and those who are more conservative might suggest when the gravity gets close to 1.010) you rack the mead into a glass carboy so that it fills the carboy up into the neck and you seal the top with a drilled bung and an airlock so you have perhaps a cubic inch or so of head room - not much more... But during the active stage of fermentation you do not need to worry about headroom. Mead and wine ain't beer...

Back