Does Oak help clear mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
I made a 5 gal batch of mead (15.5 lbs honey and White labs Sweat Mead yeast + nutrients) then when I put it in secondaries I used multiple 1 gal to be able to flavor it differently.

OG - 1.102 (Apr 16th)
SG at racking - 1.026 (May 4th)

After racking they all started to bubble a little bit again.

1 carboy was just the mead and is still cloudy while another sitting right next to it has oak and vanilla beans in it yet it is getting quite clear. Does the oak or vanilla aid in the clearing or is there some other cause for why they could be clearing differently? Everything else is identical.

Appreciate any feedback.

I would have waited longer to rack. My braggot took 4-5 weeks to clear in primary, so my guess is it's just natural clearing unrelated to the oak.

Oak does help with clarifying as well as doing other good things to your mead. During the oak aging process tannins are slowly released from the wood into the mead, tannin is a protein that, when added, causes unstable protein compounds in the mead to bond together and settle to the bottom.

Cool, good to know on the oak.

Also I only have one primary and was wanting to get an ale started so I moved them on to secondaries. I will do another racking from the secondaries and let them sit a long while before going to bottles and give them a good opportunity for clearing in the ones w/o oak.

Latest posts

Back