Hop rate for full boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im looking at going to full boils for my extract kits and i read that a full boil increases hop utilization. Should i cut my hop amounts down or just stick to the amounts included in the kit? And if I cut the hops down how much should it be by? Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Trust me, unless you really want to make it more bitter than the recipe, cut them back. 20% higher IBU is significant. You can also use the same amount but reduce your bittering boil time maybe down to 40 minutes. I'm too lazy to run the numbers to find the exact time.

Why do almost all extract recipes call for the bittering hops at 60 min then? If it is an extract kit, wouldn't the proper hops be provide to make the wanted bitterness of the recipe?

So if you cut back to 40 min, could you do a 40 min boil with acceptable results?

Guess I should have asked---- When you say "full boil", do you mean 5 gallon boil or full 60 minute boil? That will help me understand. Still new so I am a little unsure.

A 60 minute boil gives you good utilization and drives off almost all flavors & aromas, so the bittering hop only contributes bittering. If you go to a 40 minute boil, there will be some flavor oils left from the bittering hops, not much though. I've done 30 minute boils and some hophead [WSRN] on the board is experimenting with short boils to maximize hop flavor and aroma without adding excess bittering. We will hear from him once the tongue blisters heal.

"Full boil" means you're boiling the full volume of your batch and using no top up water later. Doing this reduces your overall gravity during the boil and increase hop utilization (more hop bitterness per oz, per minute). So, if you full boil, you can either reduce the hop amount or reduce the boil time. Recipe kits *usually* assume a 2-3 gallon boil.

Back