Fermentation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcooper44537

Reaction score
I've got a festa brew continental pilsner fermenting and will be 3 weeks tomorow. OG was 1.0046 i checked yesterday and im at 1.0032. Whats going on here? the batch is still active because the airlock is bubbling every 20 seconds or so. Do I leave the brew in the primary until i get closer to expected FG or pitch more yeast in secondary? Im still very new to all this any suggestions would be much appreciated.

brew has been at 58F since the start by the way

Thanks,
Russ

well for starters the readings are 1.046 and 1.032.... and second its a lager fermenting at 58F. lagers take longer than ales because of the colder temps. also they need a bigger starter than ales as well. i would suggest just leaving it where it is till its done fermenting.

What kind of yeast did you use? Did you make a starter? What were the ingredients of your recipe? If it was all grain, what was the mash temp?

i used safale lager yeast. I started it in a cup of warm water as per the instructions and once it reached pitching temps (i think i pitched with the wort and yeast around 65F) i dumped it in the wort and sealed it with an airlock. Festa brew is a pre-made all grain wort that goes straight to the fermenter, i didn't do any brewing myself.

no refractometer just a thief with your standard floating hydrometer. 1.032 seems weird because when i drank the sample it did not taste overly sweet. Had a definitive alcohol taste.

Try getting another reading. Make sure you remove all of the carbonation from the sample, and make sure the sample is at 60F for the reading. Are you positive the OG was measured at 60F??

I'd also take a few minutes to check the calibration on the hydrometer if you have not done so already. It's piece of mind and can save some frustration later if it ends up being off.

Check the calibration of the hydrometer in some distilled water. Take another reading. Then wait and take a reading next week. I've had lagers go 4 weeks, usually they're still a couple of points off at 3 weeks and I will raise for a diacetyl rest and let it finish up.

Latest posts

Back