Did you drink out of the juice container and..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
End up with some tasty winecooler? I live alone and I'll admit I drink out of the juice container. Anyways this had happened several times(not on accident anymore) where I drank half the juice(welches) and forgot about it in the back of the fridge. Months later its bulging yummy slightly sweet, super carbed wine cooler. Its so good im doing it on purpose now. Must be picking up a beer yeast from my lips. LOL im getting a pretty good buzz off it as I write. I might have to start some fridge controled ferment experiments. Anyways thought Id share :cross:

LMAO funny stuff. I mixed up a white grape peach wine a while ago and only used half of one of the juice bottles I used & forgot about it sitting by the carboys. Many weeks later it was bulging out and had some nice wine like tastes. However it sat on what little yeast that was in there and it got nasty quick. Not sour like a lactobactilous infection but just yeasty nasty after several weeks without pulling the liquid off the yeast. Natural yeast spontanious fermentations are fun but very unpredictable and hard to controle.

Good luck :mug:

LMAO funny stuff. I mixed up a white grape peach wine a while ago and only used half of one of the juice bottles I used & forgot about it sitting by the carboys. Many weeks later it was bulging out and had some nice wine like tastes. However it sat on what little yeast that was in there and it got nasty quick. Not sour like a lactobactilous infection but just yeasty nasty after several weeks without pulling the liquid off the yeast. Natural yeast spontanious fermentations are fun but very unpredictable and hard to controle.

Good luck :mug:

I think the fridge is the key. Cold very slow ferment. Funny thing is when its happened its never had a yeasty flavor. Im sure if I just let it sit out like you did it would probably get nasty though

This happened to us before I got into homebrewing. A flawed carton of juice swelled up in the cupboard. Upon having a little sip I confirmed that 'yuk, it tastes a bit like wine' and being ignorant we threw it way!!
Now that I understand fermentation I'd probably have drunk a bit more of it to see what it was like!

It's a bit like when (apparently) during Prohibition they sold grape juice with labels saying "warning, do not store at room temperature for 28 days or this will turn into wine" ;)

I doubt that drinking directly from the carton has anything to do with the type of fermentation that you're describing. If anything, your mouth will introduce lactobacillus or other souring bacteria into the juice, and the result would be putrid. There's nothing wrong with fermenting everything in your fridge in the name of science and/or a good buzz, but you'd be better off to drop a gram or two of wine yeast into the juice containers than to continue assuming that there's anything good coming from your mouth (so to speak!).

I doubt that drinking directly from the carton has anything to do with the type of fermentation that you're describing. If anything, your mouth will introduce lactobacillus or other souring bacteria into the juice, and the result would be putrid. There's nothing wrong with fermenting everything in your fridge in the name of science and/or a good buzz, but you'd be better off to drop a gram or two of wine yeast into the juice containers than to continue assuming that there's anything good coming from your mouth (so to speak!).

As I said in my first post "I might have to start some fridge controled ferment experiments." That means adding yeast

Back