Anyone a member of the American Homebrewers Association?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelBastard

Reaction score
I was thinking about joining the AHA and was wondering if anyone else is a member. Is it worth it to join? I'm always wary about joining associations like this because in my experience you have ones that are either very useful or completely useless. I'm hoping it's option number 1. Any input is appreciated, thanks :tank:

I have not joined yet but, I plan to. AHA works to promote homebrewing and keep it legal. It is really in all of our best interests to suppost their efforts. There are still states where homebrewing is illegal and there are many opponents (neo-prohibitionists, tea-totalers and other grumpy folks :D) that would like to see it outlawed/restricted everywhere.

The benefits are nice too (like Zymurgy magazine as well) but I see the work they do to promote and protect Homebrewing as the real reason.

I am a member, Im located in washington state and its not really beneficial because my state doesnt allow the discount program. There are some occasional gettogethers that could be cool to go to like tasting but they are few and far between. The magazine is excellant and I do enjoy it.

I'm not a member because there are no AHA functions or supported breweries/stores in my area. The only reason I would become a member is to attend the AHA National Homebrew Conference, which, so I understand, is well worth the time and travel.

You could become a member to support legislative efforts in the states where homebrewing is still illegal.

I'm a member but the only brewery in the state I know of that has any kind of benefit is Sebago Brewing Co. down in Portland. Mostly, my membership is for the magazine and to support the organization efforts.

I am a member, Im located in washington state and its not really beneficial because my state doesnt allow the discount program. There are some occasional gettogethers that could be cool to go to like tasting but they are few and far between. The magazine is excellant and I do enjoy it.

Where are you at in Washington? I grew up in Auburn and my parents now live in Friday Harbor. That's actually why I started brewing beer. In Washington you can't get away from microbreweries and in LA you can't find one to save your life.

I have one issue of the magazine and it seemed to be pretty good, it came with my brewing starter kit and had some really good info. I'm thinking it may be worth it for that alone.

I saved $9.00 on dinner last night because of the AHA discount at the Rock Bottom! Gave the waitress 1/2 of that, so I left with $4.50 in my pocket that I would not have had without the AHA membership. Also, it is just in my nature to support those groups that support the things I do.

You could become a member to support legislative efforts in the states where homebrewing is still illegal.
I could, but my budget is a little tight, so I'd like to see some real benefit other than something fairly intangible for me.

EDIT: Not saying it's not a noble cause, but since AHA has no presence here and brewing is legal in my state, there's no tangible benefit to me. So, with a limited budget, AHA is not a priority.

I am.

To support HomeBrew legalization, and to get Zymurgy at my doorstep. There is one place in Norman that offers the member discount but, I don't care for their beer enough to make the commute. The food is okay too.

I just recently became a member for the mag and because I beleive in supporting the things I do.

travelbastard Im located in Port Townsend on oly penn. lived around these parts most of my life also lived in enumclaw, well more like wilkeson.

I'm a member. There's a couple places nearby that honor the AHA discount (brewpubs) and having Zymurgy delivered to my doorstep is reason enough in my book. Belonging to an organization that protects my interests as a homebrewer is invaluable.

I bought a sub and got a copy of Palmer's HTB. I think that Zymurgy+Palmer was worth the price of admission.

I did use the AHA discount at one of the few local brewpubs; took a while for the waiter to find someone to approve it. I think I was the first/only person to show the AHA card there.

My wife worked at the AHA for years. They also publish The New Brewer, aimed at brewpub owners, which is the magazine she worked on. Their Christmas parties are AMAZING. 15-20 kegs of different homebrews, top notch food, etc. I went to Charlie's house once for a brewing session- his setup is unbelievable. The folks that work there are extremely dedicated and hardworking. It's a nonprofit, so the salaries are not top of scale, but those people really bust their tails to help our hobby out.

One perk- they put on the Great American Beer Festival, and always need volunteers. Back when they let brewers bring bottles, they'd always have vast amounts of beer the brewers didn't want to ship back. We ended up with 20 cases of random microbrews each year we worked the show. They don't do that anymore though.

I've let my subscription lag, but I'll be joining back up soon.

One perk- they put on the Great American Beer Festival, and always need volunteers. Back when they let brewers bring bottles, they'd always have vast amounts of beer the brewers didn't want to ship back. We ended up with 20 cases of random microbrews each year we worked the show. They don't do that anymore though.

This past year was my first year at GABF and there were a number of breweries that had bottles (and cans). The majority was definitely kegs, but you could find bottles around as well.

Even one of the Pro-Am entries was in bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
This past year was my first year at GABF and there were a number of breweries that had bottles (and cans). The majority was definitely kegs, but you could find bottles around as well.

Even one of the Pro-Am entries was in bottles

Hmm. They must have reverted the rules then. I haven't been for several years, and I know at one point they did away with bottles.

are these mags pretty informative? I may join this.

To decide that, you really should grab a copy from your LHBS or local bookstore and see for yourself. The mag covers a pretty broad spectrum of topics related to HomeBrew in a handful of pages. It's a good read for sure, just thin and infrequent. IIRC, you get like 6 to 8 issues a year. The topic are always relavent but, depending on how much time you spend in HBT you may have already learned about the articles subject.

Zymurgy also tends to be more All-Grain focused but, usually if not always, includes several recipes in each issue if you are interested.

There is usually a style based article, a DIY article, a competition article, an ingredient based article, and/or a technique article. All good reading for sure, usually pretty in depth and informative just maybe not a "new idea".

Chances are pretty high that no matter what you read in Zymurgy (or Brew Your Own) you will have read about it here first.

I'm a member, but don't use the discounts, because of where I live.

I like Zymurgy, and I like supporting the AHA's goals. They are helping to lobby to make homebrewing legal in all states, and I support that.

Of course, the annual national conference is great, if you're able to go. I had a wonderful time this past June, and I'm hoping to go in 2010, depending on where it is going to be held.

For me it's pretty much the magazine. No pub discounts here, and I think it's about time to contact the state and ask them to explain their regualtion to me. For a state with such a strong abundance of breweries, you think the state liquor commission would get onboard with this. So in reality, I spend $38 for a magazine, and the occasional free think in the mail. Never thought of it like that. Still, I'll probably renew again as usual.

I've been debating whether to do this or not. I'm thinking if a regular magazine subscribtion is included, that I could do this and stop getting BYO. It only looks like Old Chicago is the discount in my hometown area. I'll have to email my LHBS to see if a discount is included. If so, I think I will get for sure. Otherwise I don't know how much I would get out of it. I use this forum, probably won't attend any conferences, etc.

I'm a member. The magazine is great, and I support my hobbies... Just like I support Homebrewtalk.com, this site is great.

Glad to hear the magazine is good. I figured a subscription for BYO is like $26, well for an extra $12 I can get the membership, magazine, and discounts.

I am a member too. I like the magazine and the discount of course. I have yet to participate in an AHA function, but may do so at some point.

Back