cherry wine from concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeruRaHa

Reaction score
I'm itching to try my hand at a cherry wine, but as the little buggers aren't in season for several more months, using fresh cherries will be a very expensive proposition.

I did come across, in my local grocery store, a cherry juice concentrate... says 1 quart is made from 25 pounds of cherries. I would imagine that would be enough to make several gallons of wine (by normal fruit-pound:gallon
rates I've read online) but it says it makes a gallon of juice for drinking....

Has anyone tried this? Is the concentrate juice any good? Should I work off of brix and aim for a good OG or dilute as per fruit-pound:gallon assuming 1 quart is 25 pounds of cherries and add sugar?

Also, the concentrate is from tart cherries. Will that taste good, or should I just keep an eye out for inexpensive sweet cherry juice?

Thanks gang!

I would say go by brix.

But if it is made for 1 gallon of diluted juice, make it up to that. Otherwise you could leave yourself with a very watery, flavourless wine.

Hope it goes well!

Dicky

The best wines seem to come from tart cherries, so that may work nicely. Keep in mind that young cherry wine (especially from concentrate) will taste like cough syrup for a while, so be patient.

Latest posts

Back