Moving to Denver!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPirate

Reaction score
Just received exciting news that I have been offered a new job in Denver, CO and I will be relocating there in October. Of course my first thought is, "Where are all the home brew stores?" So let's hear it, what are your favorite mile-high LHBSs?

I like Stomp Them Grapes off of Pecos and I-70 -- can be a little tricky to find the first time. There is one guy who has some attitude occasionally(Cody .... but I think he is working on that), but the rest of guys are good people.

I went to Beer At Home down on South Broadway last Saturday for the first time. Those guys are really excited about brewing and they just expanded the store so they have a larger selection of grain then Stomp. Although, I noticed the dry yeast in not refrigerated there -- not sure that matters though.

I have been many times to both of the stores nate_ive mentioned and had good experiences with them. That said, SWMBO says when she goes to Beer At Home they talk down to her and treat her like she doesn't know what she is doing. Don't tell her her recipe is all wrong - she knows why she is using the grains she asks for!

Could be that drinking beer in the morning creates a different customer service vibe.

The Brew Hut in Aurora has good people. There is a brewery attached, so the staff is moving back and forth making beer. When I called from Michigan to get the recipe for their Vanilla Porter, they sent me not only the training wheels recipe (recommended for first-time brewers), but also the actual recipe (scaled to my batch size) from the brewery software.

Dude, Denver is heaven. You can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a great brewery, brew pub or brew store. The scenery and outdoor life isn't too bad either.

I moved from there in 97...trying desperately to get back.

Go to Dry Dock Brewery and HBS on Hamden Rd. and Chambers Rd. in Aurora. You have a craft beer while browsing the large store. Great place.

I couldn't agree with Franc103 more. The staff at The Brew Hut are SUPER helpful, they are all nice and very patient. Plus, the fact Dry Dock Brewing Co. is attached and you can go there for some suds is fantastic. I usually go to Dry Dock get a beer and then shop in the Brew store while I sip. Which in turn, causes me to buy more crap then I originally intended.

The Brew Hut in Aurora has good people. There is a brewery attached, so the staff is moving back and forth making beer. When I called from Michigan to get the recipe for their Vanilla Porter, they sent me not only the training wheels recipe (recommended for first-time brewers), but also the actual recipe (scaled to my batch size) from the brewery software.

Brew hut is definitely the best in the Denver area. I live about a hour and a half north of where the Brew Hut is, but my wife's parents live just down the street, so I go there whenever we are at the in-laws. All that to say, the Brew Hut is by FAR the best homebrew supply store I have ever been to. (Hampden and Chambers in Aurora). It is an excellent store, and Dry Dock Brewing (the brewery right next door owned by the same people) is probably one of my favorite breweries in the nation. I've been all over, just got back from Dogfish Head in DE and I would be hard-pressed to say that there are many breweries better than Dry Dock.

Congrats on moving to Denver. As many have said, Dry Dock and The Brew Hut are great. Prices on hops are a bit high, but their staff in both the brewery and the brew store are great.

Congrats on the move! I'm trying to move that way myself (anyone hiring tech writers, heh?).

Haha, Im not too sure. I'm a paramedic and just got lucky, from what I hear the EMS market can be pretty competitive out there. Looks like I will be in town the first of October!

There's a place called "Do Your Brew" out near 88th and Wadsworth. It's a very small shop, and the owner, Terry, runs it most of the time. They don't have a lot of random inventory, but I've found them to have the best prices on grains and adjuncts. I think I paid $1.10 for corn the last time I was there.

Back