Keg Trunk Line Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naamanf

Reaction score
I plan on installed a 3-4 tap tower on my bar that will have about 10ft max of trunk line running to the freezer. I would like a simple/inexpensive way to keep the line cold.

How do you guys think computer water cooling parts would do for the job?

Something like this in the freezer with three fans and a liquid pump.
http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-mcr320-qp-builtres.html

Add a temperature controller to turn the fans and pump on.

I find the "Thermaltake Spin" on the same cooling site of intrest, cheaper plus comes with the fan if i'm reading it right.
I was also thinking a cooler placed inside a 3-5 gallon bucket of sanitizer inside a small fridge as a liquid to liquid heat transfer then pumped upstairs.
Back in the 60's we submerged a car radiator into the 4' x 30' deep well in the basement of a 1890's house then piped to a Chrysler radiator inside the coal fireplace. A three speed fan blew 63 degree air during hot summers. This was a DIY AC unit that is still in use today with a house hot water recirculation pump. Licensed A&P this end.

The Spin is just a heat exchange CPU cooler that I don't think would work for this application. I guess the question is how much radiator and flow is really needed to keep the line cool.

Best of luck to you-

Though my lines are slightly longer, I tried various creations involving a multiple buckets, pumps, radiator, fans, and a copper coil to no avail. Your freezer will likely run about 40*, so you'd need your coolant lines no warmer than 40* which just won't happen. In the end, I bought a Micromatic glycol chiller. Sweetsounds on this board tried to do this and seems to have been more successful. Take a look at what he has built.

You could do it by moving the air.
Put the taps into a larger line like a 3" PVC pipe that has a return. Insulate the pipe on the outside.
Put a computer fan pushing cold air through the pipe, keeping the beer lines a little cooler.

It might work. Won't cost too much.

The closer the taps are to your freezer, the better the chances are of some makeshift solution working. In hindsight, I do kind of wish I thought that through better. Think about some options that way.

Latest posts

Back