DIY Projects on TV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am watching a show on History channel called Apocalypse PA.
They are building a still and making gunpowder and bullets. They built a pretty good looking still, then used an old corn sheller to shell the corn and made a grain grinder from a push lawnmower - drilled a large (2 inch ish) hole in the deck to drop corn onto the blade with a sheet of plywood with holes in it underneath. It apparently made cornmeal or cornflour (they said you could make cupcakes with it). They brewed this with water and sugar (no malt (waste of corn ?))and said that during the boil the corn would be converted to sugar????? they also said that if the temp during boil was to high they would make formaldehyde (which would blind you) - WTF ????
BTW They did make alcohol that passed an old fashioned "proof" test, gunpowder and a homemade shotgun that used the homemade gunpowder (also successfully used the gunpowder in a black powder revolver)

I'll have to pay attention so I see it when they play it again. Sounds pretty interesting.

Latest posts

Back