Too much head??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbarrontine

Reaction score
Recently brewed my first batch of a Belgian wheat beer and after two weeks of being bottled the head is annoyingly aggressive to the point where is takes two glasses to hold beer and head. Any idea as to what I can do to not make this mistake again ?

Wait at least another week at room temperature (Depends on the brew), refrigerate the beer for at least 2 days, then open.

Have you made a mistake, we don't know, it takes appx 21 days for an average gravity brew to fully carbonate, your beer may not have absorbed the co2 into solution yet.

I've had beers fully carbed in 10 or 11 days,but weren't conditioned till week 4 or 5. So give them another week or two at room temp. Then give them 2 weeks in the fridge. I do that,& head is thicker,& carbonation is longet lasting,as more co2 is driven into solution.
Also,making sure you have a stable FG will help toward keeping the foaming down to something more normal. Not to mention,not over-priming. I use the priming calculator at tastybrew.com.

I've gotten a couple of those,even with stable FG's. So I'm trying to think what else could be involved here. I learned on my 2nd brew,my summer ale I sent to Gary at Home Brewer TV. I didn't fridge them 1st,& when he opened it,foam came up about 1" from the lip of the bottle. I've found at least a week for pale ales & the like is good,2 weeks better at slowing that foaming down a bit. Just chilling them down til cold isn't long enough,ime.

So I thoroughly check my bottles today and I notice a thick layer of a milky white substance on the floor of the bottle - I'm guessing that would be the residual sugar left over ?

So I thoroughly check my bottles today and I notice a thick layer of a milky white substance on the floor of the bottle - I'm guessing that would be the residual sugar left over ?

No, probably yeast sediment. How much priming sugar did you use? If you used one of those "priming calculators" they tell you to add more priming sugar for a highly carbed beer- but usually all they've ever done for me is foam. I no longer use a priming sugar calculator, and just prime almost all beers with 1 ounce of priming sugar (by weight) per gallon of finished beer.

Latest posts

Back