Naturally carbing with a high FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnixon

Reaction score
I plan to brew a small batch of a big wheat/honey beer. According to beertools, the OG will be 1.091 and the FG 1.021. My question is will this be ok to bottle carbonate? i.e. will the yeast still eat the sugar added at bottling? And could there potentially be bottle bombs with that much uneaten sugar still in there? I usually use cooper's carbonation drops.

Thanks, Mark

You'd have to use a very low alcohol tolerant strain for it to not carbonate. You should be fine at 1.091. Most strains can easily do 10% and you won't be going over 10% unless it drops around 1.014. Just make sure you pitch enough yeast.

Cool, thanks!

Off topic, but why does the yeast leave the rest of the sugar in the wort alone, yet it will eat the extra sugar that is put in to bottle carbonate it?

The yeast will leave unfermentable sugars in the wort. There shouldn't be a significant amount of fermentable sugars in the wort or you risk bottle bombs and sweet beer.

Off topic, but why does the yeast leave the rest of the sugar in the wort alone, yet it will eat the extra sugar that is put in to bottle carbonate it?
yeast can not digest long-chain polysaccharides like maltodextrin. this is what the alpha amalayse rest in the mash is for- to break down longer sugar molecules (converted starches from a previous mash rest) into shorter ones that the yeast can use.

priming sugar is all short-chain molecules, like glucose, that dont need to be broken down and are readily available to the yeast.

Latest posts

Back