Wards Best Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew chick

Reaction score
HELP, i'm looking for a recipe for wards best bitter(originaly sheffield bitter)i carn't find one anywere.
As a young las i used to ride past the brewery on the way to work and the smell on boiling day was fantastic!that brewery closed in 94. it's still brew'd by jennings but it's not available on tap here only bottles wich are brew'd by someone else!! anyway i'd like a recipe for all grain thats as true to type as pos.
thanks.:)

Brew chick - Does the bottled stuff even come close to the original?

Lol, just been reading a thread from the archives on sheffield forum, the majority say noooooooo :D

Brew chick said:
HELP, i'm looking for a recipe for wards best bitter(originaly sheffield bitter)i carn't find one anywere.
As a young las i used to ride past the brewery on the way to work and the smell on boiling day was fantastic!that brewery closed in 94. it's still brew'd by jennings but it's not available on tap here only bottles wich are brew'd by someone else!! anyway i'd like a recipe for all grain thats as true to type as pos.
thanks.:)
I can't help you with the Wards, but Brewing beers like those you buy by Dave Line has a very large number of recipeis for all types of bitters. The book is rather dated, and many of the recipies sound terrible; but there are some good ones in there, but all the best ones come from down south:p

-a.

Jennings!! Weren't they recently bought up by another brewery? I never had the one you're asking about, but had Sneck Lifter and Cumberland ale, both were pretty good too!! I think Beer Captured has a recipe for Sneck Lifter .

Thanks guys but i have plenty off recipe's for bitters ect..."book by dave line"yep got that one too(don't rate him much though"
I would specifically like WARDS BEST BITTER nothing else will do im afraid.:(

Brew chick said:
Thanks guys but i have plenty off recipe's for bitters ect..."book by dave line"yep got that one too(don't rate him much though"
I would specifically like WARDS BEST BITTER nothing else will do im afraid.:(
I think you're fooked luv! (metaphorically speaking of course;) )
Your best bet is to find a commercial brew/home brew recipe that seems to fit the bill and modify it to suit - i'm trying to nail a barley wine clone recipe that's still in production with no success!!!!

i, it look's that way caplan don't it?
Thank's for the link D@VID,enjoyed reading that,yep thats the beer i remember!smell's and all.and it's true the new bottle'd beer dun't have the same affect thankfully.

Back