Cloning HopHands by Tired Hands Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and another thing, and If you follow Tired Hands on Instagram you may have already noticed this. But they are using Canada Malting Company Pale Malt, which is what I use in this clone mostly bc its dirt cheap and of high quality imo, but I thought they used Briess. At under $40/sack how can you go wrong, so yea thats neat.

OK this brew is very good.... The first batch is almost gone. I don't know if the 15% is what the original has but it is one damn fine brew.

I just brewed this again and think it deserves a permanent place in the rotation.

Coff you need to post this in the recipe database.

So I was really amazed by the soft texture of Tired Hands hoppy beers. Very reminiscent of Hill Farmstead. Outside of these two breweries I have never had anything quite like it. Anyone have any thoughts as to how exactly they are achieving this?

Obviously flaked oats are key. Lower level/smoother bitterness. Lower level of carbonation too. What about water? Higher chloride maybe? but how high, 150ppm, or maybe higher? The yeast I think is very important too, but it seems like they are using something not readily available.

Both tired hands and Hill farmstead use rotary style beer taps, I wonder if those play a part in the texture on the beer?

OK this brew is very good.... The first batch is almost gone. I don't know if the 15% is what the original has but it is one damn fine brew.

I just brewed this again and think it deserves a permanent place in the rotation.

Coff you need to post this in the recipe database.

Just had a freinds version of my recipe, %15 Oats is perfect. My batch #2 has 12.5% and I really didnt notice a difference between mine and his so I think that range is perfect for the clone.

I think I am going to post it in the recipe database, there really isnt anything to dial in here. The hops were perfect and %15 Oats is dead on. Im glad everyone is enjoying it.

So I was really amazed by the soft texture of Tired Hands hoppy beers. Very reminiscent of Hill Farmstead. Outside of these two breweries I have never had anything quite like it. Anyone have any thoughts as to how exactly they are achieving this?

Obviously flaked oats are key. Lower level/smoother bitterness. Lower level of carbonation too. What about water? Higher chloride maybe? but how high, 150ppm, or maybe higher? The yeast I think is very important too, but it seems like they are using something not readily available.

Both tired hands and Hill farmstead use rotary style beer taps, I wonder if those play a part in the texture on the beer?

The texture of both TH and HF beers are unparalleled in brewing, its pretty amazing the silkiness of their hoppy beers. The Oats, and carbonation are very key, I dont know if its bc of the faucets or not but everything is low carb but results in a creamy silky beer, really interesting.

As far as water goes Jean told me over twitter about 6 months ago that they really only adjust for mash PH, could be different now though bc I recently saw one of their brewsheets and it had a sizable gypsum addition on it.

I read between the lines when Jean told me they get their english yeast strain from "a friend in VT", its probably Sean. Jean did confirm that they do not use Conan but that he thinks its an awesome strain.

The texture of both TH and HF beers are unparalleled in brewing, its pretty amazing the silkiness of their hoppy beers. The Oats, and carbonation are very key, I dont know if its bc of the faucets or not but everything is low carb but results in a creamy silky beer, really interesting.

As far as water goes Jean told me over twitter about 6 months ago that they really only adjust for mash PH, could be different now though bc I recently saw one of their brewsheets and it had a sizable gypsum addition on it.

I read between the lines when Jean told me they get their english yeast strain from "a friend in VT", its probably Sean. Jean did confirm that they do not use Conan but that he thinks its an awesome strain.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet his "Friend in Vermont" is Shaun Hill. The character of their hoppy beers are so similar. Maybe the yeast is the main contributer to that texture. I bet it would be pretty easy to culture if from a growler of HopHands or similar. I wish I was closer so I could try that.

What pH did you aim for/achieve for this?

I shoot for a 5.3PH for all of my beers.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet his "Friend in Vermont" is Shaun Hill. The character of their hoppy beers are so similar. Maybe the yeast is the main contributer to that texture. I bet it would be pretty easy to culture if from a growler of HopHands or similar. I wish I was closer so I could try that.

I actually wouldnt try culturing from a growler, the taps are riddled with bacteria so if you culture from that growler youre going to get the bacteria as well. Unless you can isolate the Sacch and plate it I wouldnt recommend that.

Ill post tasting notes on batch 2 later this week, but I think Conan belongs in this beer!

I actually wouldnt try culturing from a growler, the taps are riddled with bacteria so if you culture from that growler youre going to get the bacteria as well. Unless you can isolate the Sacch and plate it I wouldnt recommend that.

Ill post tasting notes on batch 2 later this week, but I think Conan belongs in this beer!

I'd still give it a shot. Whats the worst that can happen? an infected beer? Not that big of a deal really.

Oh, and another thing, and If you follow Tired Hands on Instagram you may have already noticed this. But they are using Canada Malting Company Pale Malt, which is what I use in this clone mostly bc its dirt cheap and of high quality imo, but I thought they used Briess. At under $40/sack how can you go wrong, so yea thats neat.

Where are you getting the CMC malts from, Coff? I can't seem to find it anywhere online and my LHBS doesn't carry it.

Where are you getting the CMC malts from, Coff? I can't seem to find it anywhere online and my LHBS doesn't carry it.

The Philly group buy, which is ironically in NJ. Its not crucial to this recipe, any North American Pale Malt will work fine. The draw of CMC is that its dirt cheap, in 55lb bags and its just as good as Briess Rahr etc. If you can get in on the group buy and get a bag I highly recommend it. Not to mention its what TH uses, according to recent Instagram posts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/south-jersey-philly-group-buy-round-40-a-465174/

Coff, Nice work on the recipe.

Going to brew this TH clone tomorrow. Couple quick questions cause your notes will be up after I brew...

- How did new hopping go - need more IBU for bittering ? would you use 1oz ea 5min/whirlpool still (per 5gal)?
- how did 150* go for FG / dryness?
- What levels of Chloride/ Sulfate did you end up going with ?

thanks!
I am going to split the batch between s04 & Conan (giga yeast version 3rd generation) did you like the conan?...

great blog by the way

The Philly group buy, which is ironically in NJ. Its not crucial to this recipe, any North American Pale Malt will work fine. The draw of CMC is that its dirt cheap, in 55lb bags and its just as good as Briess Rahr etc. If you can get in on the group buy and get a bag I highly recommend it. Not to mention its what TH uses, according to recent Instagram posts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/south-jersey-philly-group-buy-round-40-a-465174/

Thanks for the link. I have a hook up on the Cargill malts locally that's in the same balk park price wise, so I'll probably stick with that. Was just curious.

I brewed a beer recently that pulled some inspiration from Tired Hands that I'm pretty happy with. Might be of interest to folks that are enjoying this recipe.

Recipe is for 6 gallons

7.5lbs German Pils
2lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Munich
1lb Flaked Oats

.5oz Horizon @ 60

3oz Centennial 30 Minute Hop Stand
2oz Citra 30 Minute Hop Stand
.5oz Horizon 30 Minute Hop Stand (didn't feel like vacuum sealing it)

2oz Centennial Dry Hop 4 days
1oz Citra Dry Hop 4 days

Fermented with Mangrove Jack M44 U.S. West Coast

1.052 OG

1.01 FG

Coff, Nice work on the recipe.

Going to brew this TH clone tomorrow. Couple quick questions cause your notes will be up after I brew...

- How did new hopping go - need more IBU for bittering ? would you use 1oz ea 5min/whirlpool still (per 5gal)?
- how did 150* go for FG / dryness?
- What levels of Chloride/ Sulfate did you end up going with ?

thanks!
I am going to split the batch between s04 & Conan (giga yeast version 3rd generation) did you like the conan?...

great blog by the way

I actually did not change the hopping at all, I wanted to change only one variable for the second batch and that was mashing at 150f. The lower mash temp worked great as the beer finished at 1.012, granted there are less Oats in batch 2 than batch 1 but the drier finish on this batch is helping to accentuate the bitterness.

I shoot for the Burton on Trent profile for my hoppy beers, I may try a different profile but I have been quite happy with this.

Spliting the batch between those 2 sounds perfect to me, let us know how the split batch goes. I should do that same thing as well at some point, but I will probably be using Conan for quite some time. I used a can culture for about 18 months before it crapped out, but now its so readily available I dont see myself using a different hoppy strain.

My beer wasnt fully carbonated when I tried it the other night, and I will post some more in depth tasting notes when it is, but I think I prefer s04! The beer was still kind of flat but the body wasnt as impressive as it was with nearly 20% Oats, I used 12.5% this time. I am also picking up a strange phenolic note on the beer, same one I got when I used ECY's North East culture, but never got from the culture I built up from a can back in Nov 2012.

I'll have a full review up next week.

My beer wasnt fully carbonated when I tried it the other night, and I will post some more in depth tasting notes when it is, but I think I prefer s04! The beer was still kind of flat but the body wasnt as impressive as it was with nearly 20% Oats, I used 12.5% this time. I am also picking up a strange phenolic note on the beer, same one I got when I used ECY's North East culture, but never got from the culture I built up from a can back in Nov 2012.

I'll have a few review up next week.

I've heard better things about Giga Yeast's Conan than ECY's culture. Wyeast 1217 worked fairly well for this beer. Some how that yeast manages to hold onto the malt character even though it attenuates like crazy.

My LHBS owner asked me to brew something for a homebrew comp (Oakmont Pub Homebrew Cup, June 5th. In case anyone's interested in attending!) so I made a batch inspired by this recipe. Same recipe really, just used a little less for the dry hop, and bittered with 1oz Columbus for 60min. Used S04 and I think it is great for this recipe. An early taste test has given me confidence that this is a great brew, definitely digging the oats used in it.

Brewed this with 15% oats and Vermont Ale Yeast this past weekend. I'm at Tired Hands all the time, so I'm really pumped to see how this turns out. Thanks for posting this recipe!

my buddy and I brewed this about 3 weeks ago and he used 04 angered I used 05.

Here is my version..

Only been kegged for 24 hours at 35psi.. Still incredible... The level of carbonation at this point is similar to Tired Hands.

Differences : I doubled the 5 minutes addition and the whirlpool hops and used us04.

My efficiency was better than normal this brew so it ended up finishing at around 5.6%abv. Fg was 1.008.

Crisp, great mouthfeel from the oats, and jam packed with hop flavor.

Great clone Coff!

We will be heading to Tired Hands next weekend to grab a growler and will do a side by side by side with mine, his and the TH version.

1402857690574.jpg

my buddy and I brewed this about 3 weeks ago and he used 04 angered I used 05.

Here is my version..

Only been kegged for 24 hours at 35psi.. Still incredible... The level of carbonation at this point is similar to Tired Hands.

Differences : I doubled the 5 minutes addition and the whirlpool hops and used us04.

My efficiency was better than normal this brew so it ended up finishing at around 5.6%abv. Fg was 1.008.

Crisp, great mouthfeel from the oats, and jam packed with hop flavor.

Great clone Coff!

We will be heading to Tired Hands next weekend to grab a growler and will do a side by side by side with mine, his and the TH version.

Cheers! Report back on how it stacks up against the original!

Its funny you mention how the carb level is similar to what you notice at TH, a lot of their beers are carbonated on the softer side especially HopHands. I have been keeping my versions of this carbonated on the very low side.

I mentioned in my original post that I threw half of batch #1 into a keg and added Brett Custersianus, that batch is down to 1.010 (down from 1.016) and tasking mighty fine so I am going to dry hop and carb it up and hopefully drink this weekend.

I have some tasting notes on my Vermont Ale batch to post tomorrow as well.

Oh and I posted the recipe in the recipe forums. Feel free to post there to, I also updated to the most recent recipe there.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/tired-hands-hophands-clone-479325/#post6195197

Just bought the ingredients to do this brew this coming weekend. Went with 15% oats. Yeast will be either S-04 or S-05, not sure yet.

I plan on doing this clone very soon. I was at TH last week and this beer blew me away along with Fourth Level and the single hop series. They are doing some great things at TH. Also bought a GrimReefer shirt. Those things were bad ass!

I can't wait to brew this. Any chance you're going to trying clone any of their other beers?

I can't wait to brew this. Any chance you're going to trying clone any of their other beers?

I brewed a first shot at cloning MoMoCoe. It's ok, but I'm going to use a similar grain bill to this hop hands clone for version two. It'll be my next brew day (prob in a couple months)

Just 10 days ago I took a stab at FarmHands (SaisonHands now but that name sucks). Really just a simple Saison with Cascade, kind of guessed on the hopping rates. A portion of the batch was fermented with a culture that a friend built up from one of their barrel aged saisons, tons of funky stuff, which I will age on Chardonnay soaked out to mimic HandFarm (which is SaisonHands aged in Chardonnay barrels).

Pretty excited for that one.

Just 10 days ago I took a stab at FarmHands (SaisonHands now but that name sucks). Really just a simple Saison with Cascade, kind of guessed on the hopping rates. A portion of the batch was fermented with a culture that a friend built up from one of their barrel aged saisons, tons of funky stuff, which I will age on Chardonnay soaked out to mimic HandFarm (which is SaisonHands aged in Chardonnay barrels).

Pretty excited for that one.

I just brewed a saison and we were talking about the Chardonnay/oak aging. Do you think that a soak in wine is enough to "sanitize" oak chips?

The batch I ended up doing with Vermont Ale yeast and 15% oats turned out fantastic. With the help of some friends, the keg lasted only 1 week in my house. I decided to brew another batch last weekend using rehydrated S-04. Looking forward to seeing the differences. Great recipe Coff. I'm going to be brewing this alot in the future.

I just brewed a saison and we were talking about the Chardonnay/oak aging. Do you think that a soak in wine is enough to "sanitize" oak chips?

It probably is, but I like to boil the cubes before I soak them in the wine anyway. In a beer like this Im not afraid of wild yeast, but Im not necessarily looking for whats living inside of that plastic baggy. Plus I like to strip a little bit of the oak character out, I want subtle oak not something overpowering.

The batch I ended up doing with Vermont Ale yeast and 15% oats turned out fantastic. With the help of some friends, the keg lasted only 1 week in my house. I decided to brew another batch last weekend using rehydrated S-04. Looking forward to seeing the differences. Great recipe Coff. I'm going to be brewing this alot in the future.

Cheers! Glad you guys are diggin it.

I am going to a pool party at a friends house this weekend and he has a batch of this on tap for the occasion, Im excited to see how his turned out. He used s04 and 15% Oats as well.

I am going to a pool party at a friends house this weekend and he has a batch of this on tap for the occasion, Im excited to see how his turned out. He used s04 and 15% Oats as well.

My buddy's version of the beer was fantastic, exactly how I picture it to be when I brew it myself. There were some non-craft beer folk who were really impressed by it.

To the OP you are the MAN! Brewed this twice. First time my effeciancy was awful and the brew came out to be 3%. Second time around i got er dialed in. Its deadnuts on. Thank you!!!! Its my new all the time brew to have on tap

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Coff, thanks for doing the work to clone this beer. I cannot wait to brew it.

To the OP you are the MAN! Brewed this twice. First time my effeciancy was awful and the brew came out to be 3%. Second time around i got er dialed in. Its deadnuts on. Thank you!!!! Its my new all the time brew to have on tap

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cheers! Thats awesome to hear, nothing better than a big overhopped session beer under 5%.

Coff, thanks for doing the work to clone this beer. I cannot wait to brew it.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out, good luck.

Kegged mine yesterday (15% oats with S-04) and it tasted great. Lately my FG has been getting down LOOOW and this one went to 1.005 so it ended up around 5.9%, not quite sessionable but not bad either! I kegged it on top of the 6oz of dry hops and am letting it sit at room temp for a few days before putting it back in the keezer and putting it on draft. Looking forward to it!

This sounds very nice! Never had it as i live in New Zealand but very keen to brew this as a session pale ale for the coming summer. One question for the OP, did you just put the oats in the mash with the base malt raw, or did you cook them then add them in?

cheers!

This sounds very nice! Never had it as i live in New Zealand but very keen to brew this as a session pale ale for the coming summer. One question for the OP, did you just put the oats in the mash with the base malt raw, or did you cook them then add them in?

cheers!

I just mash them as you normally would if using rolled oats in a stoat or something. No need to pre-gelatinize them.

This recipe sounds great! I'm a huge fan of Tired Hands, but living in SouthNJ its hard to make the 2-3 hr. commute. Having this as a go to beer would be great.

I'm a new all grain brewer. I've made the switch from extract to BIAB. I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I use a yeast starter for this beer?

2. Did you adjust for mash PH? Any gypsum additions?

3. Are you keeping this beer in a primary or did you rack to secondary for dry hop? As for dry hopping, do you add hops directly to vessel? or add to bag then in vessel? Any cold crash?

I appreciate any helpful information.

This recipe sounds great! I'm a huge fan of Tired Hands, but living in SouthNJ its hard to make the 2-3 hr. commute. Having this as a go to beer would be great.

I'm a new all grain brewer. I've made the switch from extract to BIAB. I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I use a yeast starter for this beer?

2. Did you adjust for mash PH? Any gypsum additions?

3. Are you keeping this beer in a primary or did you rack to secondary for dry hop? As for dry hopping, do you add hops directly to vessel? or add to bag then in vessel? Any cold crash?

I appreciate any helpful information.

1. I always make starters, or pitch enough slurry based on http://yeastcalculator.com/ or mrmalty.com but this is a relatively small beer so its not entirely necessarily if youre using S-04 as the dry yeast should have plenty of cells for a healthy fermentation.

2. I do adjust for mash PH, i shoot for Burton on Trent profile and a mash PH 5.3

3. I do a 7-10 primary, then rack to a keg where I dry hop for 4-5 days in a nylon bag suspended in the keg. Once the 4-5 days are up I remove the dry hop bag and throw it in the fridge and connect the co2. If youre bottling I would just suspend the hop bag right in primary for 4-5 then rack to your bottling bucket to bottle. That would put you at ~15 days i primary including the dry hop, which should be perfectly fine. You could rack to secondary and dry hop there and then to your bottling bucket but I am a proponent of as little racking as possible.

1. I always make starters, or pitch enough slurry based on http://yeastcalculator.com/ or mrmalty.com but this is a relatively small beer so its not entirely necessarily if youre using S-04 as the dry yeast should have plenty of cells for a healthy fermentation.

2. I do adjust for mash PH, i shoot for Burton on Trent profile and a mash PH 5.3

3. I do a 7-10 primary, then rack to a keg where I dry hop for 4-5 days in a nylon bag suspended in the keg. Once the 4-5 days are up I remove the dry hop bag and throw it in the fridge and connect the co2. If youre bottling I would just suspend the hop bag right in primary for 4-5 then rack to your bottling bucket to bottle. That would put you at ~15 days i primary including the dry hop, which should be perfectly fine. You could rack to secondary and dry hop there and then to your bottling bucket but I am a proponent of as little racking as possible.

Whats your reasoning behind racking to a keg and THEN dry-hopping. As apposed to dry-hopping in the primary and then transferring to a keg?

Back