So why did I wait till now to start brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmatt

Reaction score
43 years old and just starting to do this. Holy crap is this a satisfying hobby!

Hey there! My name is Matt and I live just outside of Milwaukee in Muskego, WI. I have been talking about doing this for 20 years but finally bought a bucket kit a few months ago and I am totally addicted. I'm about 10 minutes from Northern Brewer so that doesn't help. 6 or 8 batches in and already setting up a kegerator and starting to build a lauder ton. As long as I can remember, my preferred beer has always been the one I haven't had yet, so this is really a natural thing for me, if only from my variety preference.

I will have tons of questions going forward. Right now I am waiting on my regulators and faucets. If anyone has any pics or thread links that show a fridge conversion with inset faucets, I would love to see them. I can't find anything through searches yet.

I'm looking to inset this
dt18730-drip-tray-for-2-draft-beer-faucets-with-drain.html
Into the fridge door of a typical freezer on top fridge. Thought is to cut a square out of the door and build a wood box with a lip to cover the edges. It will be low, and any pros or cons of going low on the front vs higher on the side would be great too.

I'll keep poking around and sucking up the info here. Thanks to all who have posted around here... LOTS of great info!!

Matt

Addicted myself already as well. I'm getting a little head start on ya though! I'm 31.

Matt, might as well sell your fish tank and stamp collection. This hobby will become a lifestyle for you. Every household item becomes a potential brewing tool. You will have new eyes when at Home Depot or even the grocery store, looking now through wort colored goggles.

Someday you might even become a paying member of our club here and we'll teach you the secret handshake. And we'll get you keys to the private rooms ;)

Thanks guys. Point noted Passedpawn and thanks for the premonition. I spent a few years in your neck of the woods btw. CHS class of 87

I'm pretty sure you have it in ya JKA. HA!

Thanks for the kind welcome guys. I've got lots of stuff going on in my basement right now and looking to go from dungeon to usable man-cave in time for a superbowl party, so maybe I will start a thread and log it here for some input on the bar and kegerator. Lots of good ideas around here!

Matt, we are the same age. I too wish I has started this hobby 15-20 years ago. Time to make the best of it.

Good luck.

Welcome!

I grew up with my dad brewing a lot always hated the smell of him brewing, now I can't get enough.

Used to brew this nasty stuff in high school with a buddy , we used to get 100% fruit juice and bread yeast. We let it ferment than freeze it to collect the alch. Tasted nasty but did the job I guess looking back it was dumb. Friend took all the heat when his mom found the setup in his closet.

Than went to Germany when I was 16 and got a taste for good beer, ruined me for college where there was mostly only natural ice and keystone.

After college I started brewing extract then went BIAB. Now I have an electric BIAB setup in the basement!

Anyway sorry for the rambling just bored at work.
Cheers!

Edit. Wow first post. 2013 guess I'm a little late to the party

Back