Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
How should steeping grains be stored how long should they be good for?

Depends if they're crushed or not.

Unmilled grain can be stored in a dry, cool, dark place for months if kept in a sealed container. If it's already milled, I'd want to use it faster. My LHBS keeps grain in plastic rubbermaid bins for storage. If it's just a couple pounds, seal it in a gallons size ziplock bag.

I ordered some that is milled and I wont be using it all and was curious if I leave it in a in a freezer bag in the fridge will it last a few months?

Yeah, ziplocs work great. Premeasured and labeled.

Make sure you store them in a rigid sealable container if you're prone to pests. Mice can smell that malty grain a mile away.

Proofman said:
I ordered some that is milled and I wont be using it all and was curious if I leave it in a in a freezer bag in the fridge will it last a few months?
If it's just steeping grain (crystal, chocolate, roasted barley etc.) you could even keep it in the freezer.

I ordered 6# crystal 60 that I used at about half to one pound at a time. I ordered it last October and still have some. It is double bagged and then in a plastic bin. Not stale and my last brew that used some turned out fine. I think that is around 5 months. Did I mention it is crushed...?

Back