Free coolers...free coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
A guy I work with here found out I bought a new 54 quart cooler today.

"That's stupid," he says. "My granddad runs a campground, and you wouldn't believe how many coolers people leave behind! I could have gotten you a free one!"

I'm kind of the opinion that most campgrounds would experience the same thing.

Just a source the rest of you may want to consider!

Thanks for the tip!

I'd feel better just buying a new one, probably...people tend to let their coolers sit, and collect nastiness over time, and there are some smells that even the most brutal bleach soaking can't get out.

Could be a good deal if relatively 'fresh'. I tried to salvage a cooler and like pickle, rotten meat smells do not come out.

walkertalker said:
I worked for the Coleman Company for 14 years. I have more coolers than I will ever need.

You need to convince your company to make a wheeled cooler that is 2" wider and 5" taller than a corny keg.

With a rollerboard type handle.

I worked at a campground for 3 summers during high school and college. The only coolers I ever saw left behind were the crappy styrofoam ones and they usually had garbage and all sorts of other nasty stuff in them. Dirty diapers were pretty common, and vomit was pretty popular too...

olllllo said:
You need to convince your company to make a wheeled cooler that is 2" wider and 5" taller than a corny keg.

With a rollerboard type handle.
I don't work there any longer. I have been gone for about 1.5 years. Our wheeled coolers were the worst. Handle weren't long enough, so when pulled the would clip your heals. On top of that, the drain was located on the ass end of the cooler, so when you tipped it to pull it, the drain latch would hit the ground and pop open. To this day, they put the drain latch upside down so this doesn't happen. On the newer wheeled coolers, the drain in on the opposite end, so no problem there.

I wonder what it would take to get a cooler company to make stuff for the homebrewing community. It would have to be pitched in such a way that the coolers could be used for several things. For example any pepsi or coke product you want in a cornie. What would be really kick @$$ is if they would make them to fit 2 cornies and put a peltier in it with a drain at the bottom, 2 fatty wheels and a nice sized handle. Fill it up with ice to bring the keg down in temp, drain the water and have the peltier keep the right temp. In coolers it works good if they're in the house and not opened very often.:D Ah.. to dream...

Grimsawyer said:
I wonder what it would take to get a cooler company to make stuff for the homebrewing community. It would have to be pitched in such a way that the coolers could be used for several things. For example any pepsi or coke product you want in a cornie. What would be really kick @$$ is if they would make them to fit 2 cornies and put a peltier in it with a drain at the bottom, 2 fatty wheels and a nice sized handle. Fill it up with ice to bring the keg down in temp, drain the water and have the peltier keep the right temp. In coolers it works good if they're in the house and not opened very often.:D Ah.. to dream...
It's nice to dream, but don't think it will ever happen. It would cost upwards to $500,000 to bring something like that to market. I always want to make an insulated barrel for liqour stores. It could be pretty easy. Just take two 33 gallon trash cans and fill the correct amount of urethane. No more putting towels down and around the barrel. Keep in mind that this was before I started homebrewing.

Matt

Back