Liking Wyeast 1728 scottish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
Just racked a robust porter into my secondary to add some vanilla. This is my first time using 1728 and i gotta say, i'm liking the early results. I got excellent flocculation and attenuation, and i drank my hydro sample and I have high hopes for this brew. It's always nice to use a new yeast and get good results (so far) :mug:

I've been thinking of using this for an imperial stout, what were the OG-FG numbers on the porter?

I've never used the yeast and was planning on trying it out in a Wee Heavy. Easy to use? Or is it a problem child like W. Yorkshire and Belgian Saison tend to be?

og was 1.068 and fg was 1.014

It was probably one of the easiest yeasts i've used. kept it at about 62-61 degrees, fermentation took off in around 12 hours. it had a decent kraussen but didn't blow off. very pleased with it.

It's my house yeast--I keep washing it and use it in nearly every ale I use. It flocs out remarkably well, leaving really clear, clean-tasting beers. I've used it for a Wee Heavy, an Imperial Stout, and an Imperial Red (a la G'Knight/Gordon), among other not-so-extreme beers. All came out exactly as I wanted them to.

I will caution to use a blow-off tube. I do have some 1728 krausen stuck to my ceiling still when I pitched it in a fairly high gravity beer.

It's a very strong fermentor and a good malty yeast for strong ales. I pitched one pouch of it (no starter) in a 1.108 beer and it fermented all the way down to 1.025 no probs. It's a beast and my goto yeast for huge beers.

Back