Blow off bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
Im new to brewing I just did my first batch of wheat beer. Around 6-10 hours after starting the batch a thick head of foam formed and started coming threw the air lock so I pulled it off and put the blow off hose in and put the other end in a solution of easy clean and water. My question is the water became brown from the foam, so do I need to change the water in the bucket and also do I need to use a easy clean sanitizer in the water or can I sub maybe a tbs of bleach in a gal of water instead so I don't wast my easy clean

Another option is to do a "closed system" blow off tube.

Specifically, to run a blow off tub into a growler or other vessel through a holed stopper or through an airlock. The key is for everything to fit nice and snug and to be sanitized within the "closed system."

With an "open system," nastiness can form on the surface of a sanitized solution...even if there's bleach in it.

No need for any sanitizers IMO, I use tap water. One thing to think about is that if the temp cools too much you can get suck back on that tube, if you use bleach as a sanitizer you are in polyphenol hell. I really don't care if the water gets gacked up with blow off yeast...its not like bugs can crawl up that tube.

Changing won't hurt the beer. I had the similar situation in my airlock and left it and the beer turned out good. Bleach can definitely be used, save your money :D

Good luck with the brew

Cool thanks for the info guys the foam is slowly falling back so I'll change the water every few days as necessary

I just use water for my blowoff tubes, since they get swapped out for an airlock after 2-4 days. I use an old glass apple juice container about 1/2 full of water. I had to put it onto a bucket the other day though when I had a SMASH beer pushing krausen through the tube. It was a safale-04 wash, made into a starter. I couldnt believe how quick the thing got going. SG to FG in about 3 days, I'm still gonna let it sit though.

I use StarSan solution in my blow off jug (1 gallon water jug about half full). After the yeast quit spitting stuff up into the tube, I remove the blow off tube and replace it with an airlock with some cheap vodka in it.

Latest posts

Back