Immersion chiller, which way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaster

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to start AG brewing. I have done several extract batches, but I'm not the type to get into a hobby half way.

Here is my question:
Should the input for an immersion chiller swirl from the top down or from the bottom up or does it matter?

I want to think top down.

I have about 30ft of 1/2" copper tube in my barn so I figured I'd bend my own and save $50.

Thanks

In an immersion chiller both the input and output are on top. You are immersing the entire thing in your wort so they need to be on top to have access to your hose or facet.

According to Palmer, it is top down for best efficiency. I hypothesize that it is this way because the hottest wort will be floating, so it comes in contact with the coldest part of the chiller.

I can think of no reason why it could possibly matter. You should be stirring anyway.

I know that, but should the input from the facet go immediatly in to the coil from the top then swirl down to the output at the bottom (which would be bent up to the lip of the pan) or vice versa?

In an immersion chiller both the input and output are on top. You are immersing the entire thing in your wort so they need to be on top to have access to your hose or facet.

Hes referring to the flow of the water, not the placement of them.

You want to do it top - down. Either way it will work, but to me it just makes sense for it to be this way since you figure heat rises... thus the hottest part of your wort would be on top, which would come in closest contact with the coldest water coming in.

Logically this would be the best, but in actual practice I highly doubt you will be able to measure the difference in performance if you are whirlpooling or are otherwise stirring the wort well.

Top down. Since hot wort rises, you want to hit the hottest wort with your coldest water, (counterflow).

I don't think that is correct. In a counterflow chiller, isn't the incoming cold water 'running into' wort that has already been through the chiller and is hence at its coolest? The incoming hot wort is 'running into' water that has been through the chiller and is warmed up.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I was arguing the description of 'counterflow'. Of course its irrelevant to setup for IC since if you don't stir you're really wasting a lot of time and water.

If your pot has hot wort on the top and cooler wort on the bottom, you're not stirring.

It doesn't matter which way it goes unless you plan to leave it still. I don't recommend that.

I don't think that is correct. In a counterflow chiller, isn't the incoming cold water 'running into' wort that has already been through the chiller and is hence at its coolest? The incoming hot wort is 'running into' water that has been through the chiller and is warmed up.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I was arguing the description of 'counterflow'. Of course its irrelevant to setup for IC since if you don't stir you're really wasting a lot of time and water.

I should have clarified. I don't stir, so I have cold water flow top down. This could be "counter to the flow" of the heat in the wort, but really I just used the wrong term.

You are also right, which I wasn't clear on, in that in a counterflow CHILLER, coldest water hits the warmer wort, while the warmer water hits the hottest wort.

So we're both right, and we both needed to clarify :D.

I disagree with anybody saying that the wort would be hotter at the top. While It is true that heat rises, it works much different in water, than air. Even besides that, the "bottom" of the wort is touching hot stainless steel (in many cases) that also needs to be cooled down by the chiller, unless you are transferring into another vessel to cool the wort.

I disagree with anybody saying that the wort would be hotter at the top. While It is true that heat rises, it works much different in water, than air. Even besides that, the "bottom" of the wort is touching hot stainless steel (in many cases) that also needs to be cooled down by the chiller, unless you are transferring into another vessel to cool the wort.
I use an IC and only stir occasionally (especially once I'm recirculating ice water). I don't measure the temp with a thermometer, I just feel the side of the pot with my hand. I know about how long it takes to cool anyway. So I feel this temp gradient everytime I brew. If I haven't stirred in a few minutes the bottom of the pot is always cooler than the middle (where the top of the liquid is)...always.

When I use an IC with entry at the top of the wort, I have measured wort temperatures that are ten degrees hotter in the top middle than they are in the bottom middle.

Doesn't it depend on if you live in the northern or southern hemisphere??? :tank:

Seriously, if you're not stirring you're wasting water and I can't imagine one way or the other on direction is significant.

Back