recipe calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcwiehler

Reaction score
Im wanting to do this recipe that i found here, but its rated at an efficiency of 78% and i have only gotten between 60-70%. Its a belgian strong ale so I want to make sure i hit my original gravity. I read here that on strong ales its sometimes good to calculate your grain bill with a 10% lower efficiency. I want to change this recipe to make it based on 60% efficiency. How would i go about doing that? Or does anyone know some web based calculators that might help me with that. Thanks!

Belgian Dubbel

For 5.5 Gallons
Assuming 78% Efficiency

12 lbs. Belgian 2-Row
0.75 lb. Cara-Munich
0.25 lb. Belgian Biscuit
0.25 lb. Aromatic Malt
0.25 lb. Special B

1 lb. Belgian Dark Candi Sugar Syrup

1.375 oz. Styrian Goldings 4.2% Pellets 60 min
0.75 oz. Czech Saaz 3.4% Whole 15 min

White Labs Belgian Golden Ale WLP-570

OG: 1.078
SRM: 18
IBU: 25

I can't directly help, but what I usually do is formulate my recipe in beertools.com using their free account (not the paid one).

lets me setup one recipe and once I save it out, I delete and make a new recipe. You can adjust efficiency and then tweak the grain bill to give you what you seek via trial n' error.

Looks like a good recipe to me. I wouldn't change a thing except maybe your boil time. Use a little more sparge water and do a 90 minute boil instead of 60 and your efficiency will improve.

Looks like a good recipe to me. I wouldn't change a thing except maybe your boil time. Use a little more sparge water and do a 90 minute boil instead of 60 and your efficiency will improve.

Thanks, ill try that. Just out of curiosity and for future reference. If I was going to add more grain to the bill, would i just want to add more to the base malt, or would i have to add all the grains just at the ratio in the recipe?

Latest posts

Back