Lager starter Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
I'm planning a lager this weekend that will use Wyeast 2042. I'll probably ferment it at a target of 50 degrees.

I'm planning to use a starter and I have a few questions about that. I've done starters before, but I usually winged it.

1: Should the starter be fermented at the same temp as I'm planning to ferment the brew, or does that even matter?
2: How many days before brew day should I start the starter?
3: What kind of sugar should I use? I would guess just priming sugar.
4: What volume of sugar solution should I pitch into? I've used 1/4 - 1/2 gallon before.
5: Finally, what ratio of sugar to water should I use - or what gravity (what's the quick rule of thumb here?)

Many thanks in advance!!!

The size of your start depends on how viable the yeast is. Check out this page for more info on your pitching rates http://yeastcalc.com/ as for temp of a lager starter I just do it at room temp. At this point your just growing yeast there no need for cold ferment temps.

I'm planning a lager this weekend that will use Wyeast 2042. I'll probably ferment it at a target of 50 degrees.

I'm planning to use a starter and I have a few questions about that. I've done starters before, but I usually winged it.

1: Should the starter be fermented at the same temp as I'm planning to ferment the brew, or does that even matter?
2: How many days before brew day should I start the starter?
3: What kind of sugar should I use? I would guess just priming sugar.
4: What volume of sugar solution should I pitch into? I've used 1/4 - 1/2 gallon before.
5: Finally, what ratio of sugar to water should I use - or what gravity (what's the quick rule of thumb here?)

Many thanks in advance!!!

1. No, room temperature is fine
2. About a week, because you'll want to decant the spent wort and lager yeast takes longer to fall out. It'll take about 3 days in the fridge before you can pour off the spent wort.
3. DME. Do NOT use sugar!!!!!!
4. You'll need a huge starter for a lager, but you can probably start with 1-2 liters. Consult mrmalty.com's yeast pitching calculator (or yeastcalc.com) for specific size based on the OG of your beer.
5. You want to use DME and make a starter with an OG of 1.030-1.040. That's about 1/2 cup of DME to 2 cups of water, or if you have a scale it's 10:1. (volume:weight)

Okay so the term "sugar", is a bit ambiguous because sugar is exactly what the yeast wants.

When you said, "do not use sugar", is it safe to assume you meant table sugar?

The reason I ask is, I have priming sugar but no DME. Is priming sugar okay?

Okay so the term "sugar", is a bit ambiguous because sugar is exactly what the yeast wants.

When you said, "do not use sugar", is it safe to assume you meant table sugar?

The reason I ask is, I have priming sugar but no DME. Is priming sugar okay?

No, no priming sugar, table sugar, etc. You want to get some DME.

Awesome replies! Very helpful info here. Thanks a bunch!

I guess any DME will suffice. Does that matter at all?

Now I'm wondering, if I pour out all of the liquid, how do I get the yeast to pour out of my starter vessel? Do I just leave a small amount of liquid so I can swirl it all together enabling me to pour it out?

The only other thing would be to boil a few cups of water to sanitize it, cool it, and then use it to rinse that yeast out. Hmmm.

Now I'm wondering, if I pour out all of the liquid, how do I get the yeast to pour out of my starter vessel? Do I just leave a small amount of liquid so I can swirl it all together enabling me to pour it out?

The only other thing would be to boil a few cups of water to sanitize it, cool it, and then use it to rinse that yeast out. Hmmm.

You can just leave enough spent wort in the flask/jug to stir up the yeast so that it pours.

You can just leave enough spent wort in the flask/jug to stir up the yeast so that it pours.

Or you can decant it totally and then add some newly brewed wort and swirl it around and pour the whole thing into the fermenter. That's what I do. Just don't like the idea of that nasty starter wort in my fermenter. It may be irrational, but what can I say? :)

Latest posts

Back