Vinegar from mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried making a natural vinegar from a ginger mead I made a long while back without adding any mother of vinegar. Since a mother can be naturally made in wines, why not a mead? It may be the ginger or something else but after a year I have nothing. Still mead.

So you may be able to purchase the mother, add it and make some vinegar. I just have never got around to it.

Buy Bragg's raw unfiltered cider vunegar. It's fairly easy to find. Check the bottle before you buy it, there will likely be some of the mother floating around in it. Fish it out and make a starter with a mason jar of mead. Pitch into your finished mead and wait.
That's my plan, anyway.

Buy Bragg's raw unfiltered cider vunegar. It's fairly easy to find. Check the bottle before you buy it, there will likely be some of the mother floating around in it. Fish it out and make a starter with a mason jar of mead. Pitch into your finished mead and wait.
That's my plan, anyway.

That's how I make malt and cider vinegar. Works really well.

Just picked up some live vinegar from the store. I have a lemon cherry mead that after 18+ months I still can't drink much of. I think I left it on a bed of lalvin 71b yeast for too long and now have this odd autolysis taste stuck. So if it not destined to be drank as mead then I am trying to turn it into vinegar. I mixed 1 part apple cider vinegar, two parts lemon cherry mead, 1 part water. We will see how it goes.

Ok the results. I mixed the mead as shown above and checked just the other day. It is vinegar!!!! Tastes pretty good too. You can really taste the cherry notes and no off flavors as far as I can tell. I bought a few other red wine vinegars from the store to taste compare and mine was less acidic and more fruity. Pretty cool. Here is a pic of the finished product in waxed bottles:

image.jpg

Those look awesome! Is that a reflection or a ribbon/label on the bottle on the right hand side? I've got 6 gallons of cranberry vinegar that's just about that same color & was thinking of bottling in bellissima bottles or small flip-tops, but I think I like the way your bottles look better. Are you using the string as a pull-tab sort of wax removal aid, or is it just decoration?
Regards, GF.

No lable just a reflection. No string in this wax. I was short on glue stick for my honey bee bottle wax recipe and so this wax was prone to crack when cooled. But normally a bit of cotten crochet thread is used.

Ive been making Mead Vinager for a bout 3 years now with whatever I cant fit into bottles from a batch. I used a white wine scovy to get started and just keep adding a 1/2 a liter to a 10 liter bucket with a tap at the bottom.

Very good to making sauces, roux and picking things.

Back