Why So Few Bines??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I have a first year Mt. Hood and Cascade growing in their own half whiskey barrels. I planted them April 27th, and they've sprouted since May 15th. There's 2 bines growing in the Cascades, which are growing great. One is about 2.5-3ft tall and the other is about 2 feet. The Mt. Hood has 1 bine growing and is about 2 ft.

This hasn't changed since May 15th though...All the bines that are growing now sprouted between May 15th-16th. No new growth has even showed any signs of sprouting. Since they're starting to get tall and grow very rapidly, I've been asking about when/if to trim, and the answer I always get is I should have "at least" 3 bines per plant before I start trimming.....So where are my other bines??? Should I be worried?

Since they are first year plants...I wouldnt trim at all. you may want to keep any leaves from touching the ground. But I wouldnt bother with trimming unless they all of a sudden grow exponentially at the base and it becomes very bushy. Most first year hops will only have a single bine till way late in the season. Some bines do get a lot of early base growth but its all dependant on the rhizome. I have a fist year brewers gold that is 17' with cones and another brewers gold that is only about 3'.

the hops will grow when they are ready...first year plants are establishing a root system...dont expect a lot of vegetative growth till later in the season when they have a better root system - generally speaking.

Cheers

I planted a rhizome from my second year cascade that took for ever to sprout and the bines that are growing are very thin. I don't expect to get any cone from these this year. I might not even do any trimming either. Looking forward to the second year. So my advise is to just let your first year plants grow.

let em sit.
give it a year or two.
they will grow.

they are just fattening up their a$$ end, right now.

Back