Primary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is something I'm more curious about than anything. Lately, I have read a lot of different things about fermentation taking weeks. Mine typically is complete in 4-5 days. Am I doing something wrong? I watch the airlock for the first few days and once the bubling has subsided (usually around day 4) I take a gravity reading and consecutively on the 5th and 6th days. Once the gravity reading remains stable, I rack to secondary (typically 7th or 8th day). The FG is always where it is expected to be and the beer is good. I'm just curious why my beer seems to ferment quicker than everybody else's.

J

Fermentation depends on the yeast as well as the fermentaion temps, but typical ale yeasts ferment out in 5-7 days. I have begun leaving the brew alone for 2-3 weeks in the primary and skip the secondary altogether (you can find pros and cons on this site) and then transfer over to my keg. THat way you know that fermantation is done and you don't risk infection when testing the FG.

But if you wait 7 days you should be fine with complete fermentation and okay to transfer.

I think you'll find that is a pretty typical fermentation time especially for ales. But "everyone else" just lets the yeast clean up after themselves a little longer.

Cool. I do remember the other day you saying that you do not use secondary. Do you dry hop? And if so, how with only one fermenter?

My fermenting bucket has a "spout" so I am able to fill my hydrometer flask with little chance of contaminating the beer. Or at least I think there is little chance. I guess by having the spout open there is always a chance something could happen.

4-5 days for primary fermentation isn't abnormal. More time gives the yeast a chance to clean up the by-products of fermentation - and that's not a "visible" stage. The clean up can be left to take place in the primary fermenter, or in a secondary if you choose to rack it.

I do use a secondary when I dry hop. Usually a 5 gallon glass carboy. In those cases I tend to leave the beer in the primary for 2 weeks, then move to a secondary for another week, then cold crash and keg.

"Clean up" occurs when the beer is left on the yeast bed for a longer period of time. There are a bunch of threads on the topic of what "clean up" means versus "clear up".

Its a term used when the yeasties get cold and flocculate or drop to the bottom leaving the beer clearer.

Back