How to reduce magnesium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I got a Wards water analysis done this week. I knew our water was pretty hard but finally got the details.

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 470
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.78

Cations / Anions, me/L 9.6 / 9.3

Sodium, Na 5
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 91
Magnesium, Mg 57
Total Hardness, CaCO3 465
Nitrate, NO3-N 6.5 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 14
Chloride, Cl 8
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 475
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 390

I have been spending a bunch time on Brunwater and other sites. What I have not seen a lot of info on is how to reduce my Mg content other than through dilution with RO/distilled water. Is there another method?

With alkalinity that high you should be looking at dilution as a good option as you will need quite a large acid addition to bring it down to usable levels. This could result in pushing other levels out of range such as sulphate or chloride depending on the acid you choose.

Dilution with purer water is probably the simplest option. However, you do have another option for your water. That water has very high temporary hardness and it is suited to lime softening. That process will reduce Mg content as long as the treatment process pH is taken above 12. Lime softening is a very simple process, but you do need to know what you are doing. Some would consider the process too much of a pain to conduct. You should check it out to see if you want to pursue it.

Thanks, I checked it out and I'm going to start with diluting with distilled water. Use some gypsum to up my sulfate as needed and lactic acid to get mash pH in line.

Back