Velvet Hammer Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this a few weeks ago, after HOURS of research trying to figure out what is used. Peticolas' Youtube and Twitter were a big help :)

I knew there was a Weyerman, but couldn't figure out if it was Carared or Caraamber, so I went with Caraamber. I guess now we know...

Anyway, here's what I did:

5.5 Gallon (7.13g pre-boil)

11.5 lb. Pale Ale Malt (Briess)
2.5 lbs. CaraAmber
1.5 lbs. CaraMalt
5 oz. Extra Dark Crystal (Simpsons; 160L)
1 LB Light Brown Sugar(5 mins)

Mash @ 149

Hops

Boil
1 oz Bravo -60 min=48.3 IBU

.41 oz Chinook-30 min= 12.8 IBU
.41 oz Centennial-30 min= 9.8 IBU
.35 oz Columbus-30 min= 14.3 IBU

1 oz Centennial- Flameout
1 oz Columbus- Flameout
1 oz Chinook- Flameout

Yeast
Appropriate sized starter WY 1098 - British Ale

OG: 1.078----FG 1.011= 8.9%
5.5Gallon/85.2 IBU

Ive never used brown sugar before, you are saying put 1lb of sugar when 5 mins is left on the Mash? Also if I don't make starters would your recommend 1 or 2 vials of the yeast?

I am really excited I found this thread this is my Father-in-laws favorite beer.

Ive never used brown sugar before, you are saying put 1lb of sugar when 5 mins is left on the Mash? Also if I don't make starters would your recommend 1 or 2 vials of the yeast?

Sorry, haven't logged in for a few months and just saw this. Hope you already brewed this and it was delicious!

To answer your questions, I added the sugar with 5 minutes left in the BOIL, and I'd recommend 2 vials with something around 9%, if not making a starter.

Sorry, haven't logged in for a few months and just saw this. Hope you already brewed this and it was delicious!

To answer your questions, I added the sugar with 5 minutes left in the BOIL, and I'd recommend 2 vials with something around 9%, if not making a starter.

It was fantastic actually

God i need to make this beer. I keep forgetting to make it. I want to keg it bad too. Maybe i'll remember my next brew day!

I've been a huge fan of Velvet Hammer for quite some time, and I ran across the tweets recipe on Brewer's Friend. I scaled it down to 5 gallons; so here it is:

13 lbs Pale Ale
1.5 lbs Crystal 10L
1 lb Crystal 20L
3 oz Crystal 80L
3 oz UK Roasted Barley
1 lb Brown Sugar @5 min

Hops:
Bravo 1 oz @ 90 min
Columbus 0.25 oz @30 min
Centennial 0.25 oz @30 min
Chinook 0.25 oz @30 min
Columbus 0.5 oz @10 min
Centennial 0.5 oz @10 min
Chinook 0.5 oz @10 min
Columbus 0.25 oz @1 min
Centennial 0.25 oz @1 min
Chinook 0.25 oz @1 min

Mash @ 150

3 packs of S-04 @ 66 degrees

5.5 Gallons to the fermentor

OG 1.084
FG 1.016 (est.)

I've never used S-04 before, so it surprised me that it came out of the lid of my fermentor the next morning and all the next day. On day 3, I pulled a sample and it was at 1.018. The taste was spot on, but the aroma had apricot in it. In all my brewing that was the first time that I couldn't quit drinking the sample! I emptied the test jar. I'm so excited about this beer that I had to revive this old thread. I'm still about a week left before I keg it, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to wait. I'll post when it's done.

Cheers!

My friend and I are going to brew a Velvet Hammer clone in two weeks and I'm glad I found this thread. I figured I might find a good recipe here. Thanks for all your hard work gang, saved us a lot of time. I'll post the results later.
Cheers

Okay, so this is easily the best beer I’ve ever brewed. We haven’t been able to stop going to the keezer. It went from grain to glass in 8 days! I’ve already ordered 2 more kits because I don’t want to be without this beer in my keezer! I’m going to have to find it on tap locally to fill a growler to compare it side by side. I know for certain that mine ended up substantially darker, but from my recollection the taste is spot on.

So, I took this beer onto TX Brewing Inc./Come and Brew It Radio podcast a couple weeks ago. It was a huge hit and it was a lot of fun being on the podcast. If anyone is interested, it is the December 21st episode in the first half. Cheers!

Back