Banana esters with SafAle 04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjap52

Reaction score
I just brewed BierMuncher's OktoberFAST using Safale 04 for my brew. I just kegged my first 5 gallons of it and when I took my FG sample I got a lot of banana ester aroma. It finished at about 1.011. I pitched and fermented around 63 - 65 and after initial fermentation was done bulk aged it at ambient (around 70) for about 2.5 weeks.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm kind of surprised by this, I wasn't really expecting it. Maybe it will fade once it's chilled & carbed, but I'm just curious for some input on people who've had similar outcomes.

My og was 1.056 and I had about 74% efficiency. Attenuation was about 78%.

Thanks all!

I just brewed BierMuncher's OktoberFAST using Safale 04 for my brew. I just kegged my first 5 gallons of it and when I took my FG sample I got a lot of banana ester aroma. It finished at about 1.011. I pitched and fermented around 63 - 65 and after initial fermentation was done bulk aged it at ambient (around 70) for about 2.5 weeks.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm kind of surprised by this, I wasn't really expecting it. Maybe it will fade once it's chilled & carbed, but I'm just curious for some input on people who've had similar outcomes.

My og was 1.056 and I had about 74% efficiency. Attenuation was about 78%.

Thanks all!

Oh, yeah, over about 64 degrees, it gets estery! Your fermentation temperature must have crept over 65 degrees.

I actually have a beer fermenting with 04 as we speak. I was told to ferment at 68. To warm? I could get it down but I wasn't planning on it.

Oh, yeah, over about 64 degrees, it gets estery! Your fermentation temperature must have crept over 65 degrees.

Hmm, so is this considered an off flavor of the yeast? From what I understand, the suggested fermentation temps for this yeast is between 64-75.

Also, you respond to almost all of my questions I post here. Thank you! haha:mug:

Hmm, so is this considered an off flavor of the yeast? From what I understand, the suggested fermentation temps for this yeast is between 64-75.

Also, you respond to almost all of my questions I post here. Thank you! haha:mug:

Wellllllllllllllllllllll, here's the thing. So4 is a British yeast. So, yes, if you ferment it higher it will get English-y. Now, for most British beers this is fine. But it means esters.

I don't use S04 in my British beers, because it's not a pleasant estery, the way something like London Ale yeast would be.

So, it's not an off-flavor, as it's expected in English yeast. But it's not a very nice character of this particular yeast.

I actually have a beer fermenting with 04 as we speak. I was told to ferment at 68. To warm? I could get it down but I wasn't planning on it.

If you like bananas, it's fine.

This yeast isn't a "fun" character English yeast in my humble opinion. For English yeast at 68 degrees, I'd pick WLP002, London ale yeast, ESB yeast, etc. NOT this one.

I brewed the same recipe with 04 a few weeks ago. Basement was warm (70 ish) so I did the t-shirt-over-the-bucket-in-a-tub-of-water-with-a-fan trick. I have no idea what temp it actually fermented at! I bottled last weekend and didnt notice much banana. Must be I got lucky!

Back