Gravity after 11 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkfamilyhb

Reaction score
I brewed up an IPA two Saturdays ago (12 Days) using WLP001 that had an OG of 1.062 and I needed the carboy to brew this weekend so I transfered it to a secondary (also dry hopping). But when i checked the gravity, it was still 1.032. It seems to me my gravity is always pretty close to my estimated final gravity after this amount of time.
I am wonder if this could be a sign i underpitched. I did make a yeast starter but the yeast starter went crazy and overflowed so i had a nice layer of yeast on my bathroom counter (but still seemed like a good amount in the bottom of the flask).
Also, do would it be a bad idea to reuse the yeast at the bottom of the primary for my next batch, that was my original plan.
Thanks,
Ian

1. I'd re-pitch most of the yeast into your secondary, as the batch is far from done.
2. Something else is going on, 11 days should have give the yeast plenty of time to grow and ferment.
3. Pitching on a yeast cake is great for high OG beers.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get two 24 oz mason jars with a good amount of yeast out of the original carboy so a pitched one back in (i think i might have a sanitation issue with the 2nd since a pine needle fell right in the open jar). The thing still seems to be bubbling away even before I repitched the yeast. The beer sure does taste good so i hope it turns out.
Ian

Back