Cranberry recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cranberries are pretty tart. I would keep it between 1 and 1.5 lbs/gallon. Orange zest pairs well. As for the amount of honey, that depends on how strong or sweet you want it and what yeast your are using.

If you're worried about pH and still want more cranberry flavor, you could add more to secondary. Since you're planning on a melomel, you might want to consider 71B for your yeast, and target ~1.120 for your OG...that yeast should end you in the mid 1.0teens, and give you a little residual sweetness to temper the tartness of the cranberries, especially if you add more in secondary to get some additional flavor.

I agree w/ BBBF that I'd add some citrus zest...

I did a cranberry/Irish red braggot that I'm happy with. I only used half a retail bag of cranberries in a 5 gal batch. Used 9 lb honey and 6 lbs of extract as well as double the hops called for in the Irish red beer kit. Used the cranberies in primary.

That takes care of about a 2 pounds of cranberries.

GTG

Latest posts

Back