Trying a new technique (to me)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Hi there all, Hope all is well with my fellow HBTers...I was in the process of doing my AG Barleywine for after the new year and was doing a bit of reading while the mash was doing its thing, and I came across a topic I hadnt seen before (prob wasnt looking in the right spots...lol) but I thought I would give it a try...It was the use of a GRANT...Basically a small vessel under the mash tun that would give yet another level of filtering...Its primarily used with recirculating systems such as the RIMS/HERMS...Currently I employ the use of a 15G keggle that does double duty as MLT and as boil kettle, but I also have a 5G IGLOO cylindrical with a screen in it as well for my small batches...So I thought what if I made a semi tiered ghetto setup for a try...Well the results so far are pretty good (I enclosed a photo for clarity)...Let me know what ya think or if there is anyway to make changes...BTW...I did a nice barleywine which preboil shows as 1086 with T conversion...Also doing a small gravity APA with the seconds...Ill let ya know how they do...Thanks for the input...Prost:mug:

IMG00164-20100820-1033.jpg

IMG00165-20100820-1034.jpg

Actually I think grant is slightly different that what you are referring to, at lest to my understanding. I have found it called an "Underback" and discovered it in the original Labatt pioneer brewery in London, Ont.

After the mash is converted and before it is transfered back to the boil kettle, it is dropped back down to the main floor to something called the "Under Back."

DSCN3231.JPG

It sits directly below the Mash Tun.

The mash from above is left to sit here for a half hour. This allows any remaining grain particles to settle to the bottom. Then the wort is pumped from here back up to the brew kettle.

This is the definition I have found for a Grant, and it doesn't mention filtering.

Lauter grant:

When using a pump to move wort from the lauter tun to the kettle, it is easy to pull liquid from the tun faster than the grain bed wants it to flow, compacting the bed and causing a stuck runoff. Aside from being a large pain, a stuck runoff can also damage the pump (magnetically coupled pumps can be damaged if run dry).

One solution to this problem is to purchase a speed controller for your pump, but these are expensive. Another option is to install a ball valve on the outlet side of a centrifugal pump to restrict flow, but ball valves can be difficult to use for fine-tuning liquid flow. A lauter grant represents another possibility.

A lauter grant is simply a vessel that collects the wort from the lauter tun. The pump is plumbed directly to the lauter grant instead of the lauter tun. Gravity gently pulls the wort from the lauter tun, thus minimizing compression of the grain bed. A float switch can be used to turn the pump on when the grant is full, thus freeing the brewer to tend to other things.

My lauter grant is an old plastic bottling bucket (see photo on page 45). A hose runs from the lauter tun to the bottom of the grant (to avoid aeration of the wort) and a pump is attached to tubing that leaves the grant through the spigot. This simple arrangement eliminates the need for an expensive pump speed controller.

It may be semantics, but I just thought it was cool that you've found out about it too. You're the only one I've come across that has mentioned anything remotely like what I found in Ontario. :mug:

My thread, fyi.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/labatt-pioneer-brewery-128740/

Thanks Rev for the info...I just found the info in one of my books here at the house...I thought it was like a slowed long Vorlauf to aid in filtering the particulate matter and protein...And thanks Cheesy for pointing that out lol...Phew thought I was going to have the fire dept here...lol

another strike against fancy one-tier systems (pump causing stuck mash)... Gravity is our friend.

Back