Some scorching in first run of new system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labrat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently built a two tier system that utilizes a March pump and a direct fired mash tun. I have previously made over 20 batches with a polarware 10 gallon mash pot with false bottom (St. Pats design and also a normal Polarware false bottom). I have normally done step mashes and single infusions with the old setup and switched to be able to more easily control mash temps and 10 gallon batches.
The new system worked out pretty well except that when I removed the 10 inch false bottom from the bottom of the keg there was some scorched wort under an upper portion of it. I am rather bummed about this occurrence and thinking about the causes and solutions.
My false bottom setup is essentially the same as Lil Sparky's except my mesh size is smaller (I cut down the St. Pats screen to fit). I use a superb burner that is very adjustable and holds the keg quite nicely. I had to raise the initial temperature about 4 degrees after dough in. I do use a Corona grain mill that I am somewhat attached to since I motorized it from various appliances from the local eco cycle. I did not use rice hulls in this mash and it may have been ground on the fine side.

I was hoping some of you could give me some feedback from your experiences with a direct fired keggle/false bottom and scorching. I know that I can go RIMS or HERMS but want to make the direct fire Mash tun work for now.

I am wondering if a false bottom that covers the entire bottom would be optimal but I am concerned about the volume of wort in this larger deadspace.

I am also mulling over a Barley Crusher for better control but do not want to spend any more cash on my system for awhile. Thanks for any input.

I am assuming you were recirculating while the burner was on, if so, would speeding up the flow while on the burner help move more wort across the hot bottom faster? Or heating with less intensity making it take longer will be less likely to scorch.

Linc

I was recirculating the entire time. The outlet hose (1/2 ID) was never "full" of wort so I think maybe my lauter rate was on the low side. The ball valve was fully open. I will adjust the mill to grind less fine next time as a possible solution.

Back