Beer that sits in fermenter after fermentation complete....good, bad, or indifferent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heertsy

Reaction score
Was wondering about this. Let's say your fermentation is done after 5-7 days, but u let it sit in the fermenter another 7 to 10 days. (not using a secondary)

Is this better, worse, or doesn't matter either way for the overall product??

I would think it would be better to let it sit a while longer.

The only reason to be concerned is a process called autolysis (sp?). Basically the yeast that's still alive eats the dead yeast cells that have flocculated to the trub, which causes a nasty off-flavor. Autolysis only begins to happen after like 4-6 weeks in the primary fermenter. So if your beer is done at 2 weeks and you leave it in for another week, you're perfectly fine. I have brewed several batches where I left it in the primary for 3 weeks and skipped the secondary, and they all turned out fine.

i think it really depends on what type/style beer you are brewing.
i've had hefes hit die off in 2 wks and had a brown in primary for 3 before i got to transfer it

I'm such a slacker that I have brewed and left it in the primary for up to two months - got one in that condition right now, in fact.

I've never had one go bad on me. If I know I'm not going to bottle for a long while, then I put the primary in a beer fridge to make the yeast go dormant.

Focus

I've never heard anyone reporting problems. In fact I'm sure there was someone on here recently forgot about a beer for around a year. Can't remember the outcome on that one though.

I'd say rack it when you get a chance and don't worry about it.

Was gunna ask the same Question when I got the chance. Well done, was wondering, but now I know. thanks all.

I leave batches in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks and keg. No problems. I know what autolysis smells like because I left a bucket of trub sit for four months once.

Back