Dangerous idea ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Anyone have a huge CO2 cylinder, and use it to charge 5-10# cylinders ?
Sounds like a possible hospital visit, especially if you're toasted when doing it.

:drunk:

That is my plan. I have a five pounder and a fifty pounder. My son has a fifty pound siphon tank for filling paintball tanks and I was just going to fill my five pounder from that, but I don't want to get involved in his business dealings with his friends. The five pounder is just for road trips anyway so I'll fill it with just vapor from the large tank when I need to go somewhere. It should hold enough to discharge the beer from a full keg I would think.

Brewer3401 said:
Anyone have a huge CO2 cylinder, and use it to charge 5-10# cylinders ?
Sounds like a possible hospital visit, especially if you're toasted when doing it.

:drunk:
This is how my beer store guy did it a while back.

There's no more danger in filling tanks than having a tank at all. Of course, you need to have the correct "whip" or jumper hose and the donor tank has to have a dip tube. The point is, there's no more pressure in a 100lb tank than there is in a 5lb. It just has more capacity to hold liquid. Liquid co2 wants to boil off at room temps and stops doing so at about 600-1000 PSI.

Bobby_M said:
There's no more danger in filling tanks than having a tank at all. Of course, you need to have the correct "whip" or jumper hose and the donor tank has to have a dip tube.

Yeah, that's the 'siphon' tank I was referring to. That's what they call it at the gas supply store. As far as a proper jumper hose, my son's paintball tank filler apparatus works just fine. It was kind of expensive at around $60 or so, but you could probably make one easily enough from parts at the gas supply store. In fact, my son's was defective in that they forgot to drill the discharge hole for bleeding tanks so we just modified it to work properly. You're supposed to bleed the paintball tanks first so that you can accurately measure the weight of the gas going in. The cooling effect of discharging the remaining CO2 also helps get enough of the fresh stuff in.

as long as you know what yer doing, no problem.

my buddy had a game store and rented paintball equipment. he filled all his 7.5oz tanks from a 50lb cylinder. never had a problem, other than cold fingers.

Back