My first recipe -- Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troxs

Reaction score
Well I have only brewed about four batches of beer, however, for my next I was looking for a beer that I could call my own. So I started to formulate an idea of what I would like, and put the ingredients into BeerAlchemy. This is what I have come up with thus far, and I would be most gracious of any feedback available.

Southern Oak
6.00 lbs: 2-Row (Briess)
2.00 lbs: Munich 10L
1.00 lbs: Rye Malt (Weyermann)
0.50 lbs: Crystal 20L
0.50 lbs: Rye, Flaked

0.50 oz: US-Cascade Pellet Hops (60 min)
0.50 oz: US-Cascade Pellet Hops (15 min)

2 Pks of Wyeast 3944 - Belgian Witbier (no starter)
0.5 teaspoons of Wyeast Nutrients

I also plan to soak 4 oz of French Medium toast oak chips, and 3 oz of American heavy toast cubes in Jim Beam for a few days. Then racking on top during its secondary fermentation stage for roughly 14 days.

That is waaaaaaaay too much oak. I would start with 2 oz, you can always add more. I've also had better luck aging on oak for a longer period of time, that seems to give more complexities and less lumber. Have you ever heard of a brewery barrel aging a beer for just 14 days?

The base recipe looks fine, but a description of what flavors you are hoping to get would be helpful since clearly it isn't a "too style" brew.

I was not sure exactly how much oak to put into the carboy, but I assumed those amounts (and we know what happens when you ass-u-me). Anyways I am looking for a beer with a medium body, and a hint of bourbon oak that would lingered around after. Preferably lighter in color since it will be getting warmer in the coming months down here in Louisiana. (too dark of a beer is tough to swallow in the 110% humidity, and high temperatures.)

Basically I want it to be a nice southern beer utilizing the culture, and mixing some of that culture into flavors. Plus I am not sure I have ever tasted a beer aged with oak before so it will be a bit of an experience for me as well.

If you can it might be interesting for you to split the batch after primary fermentation and only age half on the oak. That way you could see the difference the oak makes, and you could blend it you wanted to dial in the "right" level of wood flavor. Should be an interesting beer, but I would probably go with an American or English yeast, the Belgian yeast just seems out of place in a beer like this (that said I have a big dark Belgian beer aging on some bourbon soaked oak at the moment.).

Back