2009 Hop Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
Harvested most of our Cascade hops the other day, they ended up drying to about 14 oz. We hope to get another harvest before it's all said and done with. These are 2nd year plants and really kick out some hops!

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

Really cool. Whats that they were growing on?

I have 2nd year chinooks and cascades which are about ready to pick with new cones still sprouting. looks like you got about as many as i'll get...maybe more.

They are growing on a 25' tall windmill that is used for aerating a pond. There are 4 plants, one in each corner.

They are growing on a 25' tall windmill that is used for aerating a pond. There are 4 plants, one in each corner.

That is too cool, very nice harvest too, off topic, but could you possibly give me some info on the windmill, just built a 2 acre pond and was looking for something to aerate it with, never heard of a windmill aerator, but I would consider it, how does it work etc., thanks.:mug:

Funny that you got 14oz of cascade. I harvested part of a bine last night and got 14oz (undried) of cascade.

---
I looked into a windmill and solar to aerate my 1 acre pond. The windmill was about $1'500 and there is not enough wind around here to make it worth while. Solar was even more expensive. I ended up installing a 1/4hp rotary vane compressor that I bought online new old stock (NOS) for $50. It has been running flawlessly for 3+ years.

Back