Quick question about when to rack off fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonescole

Reaction score
I Did a simple 1 gallon blueberry melomel recipe this weekend and was wondering what the consensus is on how long I should let the fruit stay in the primary before I rack it to another carboy? I have read a ton of information, but want to see what you guys think. If anyone ran into issues with leaving it on too long etc..
Here is the recipe:
3 pounds Desert honey heated to 180 and then skimmed the top for the white stuff. (Random honey choice as I just grabbed what I could find at Trader Joe’s)
24 ounces blueberries, frozen and thawed three times and then added 48 hours after the fermentation started. (What a mess…, but I wanted to make sure that there would be some alcohol content to make sure there was no mold issues from the fruit, we will see how this goes though. I was also hoping this would add a bit of nutrients for the yeast as I forgot to break up the energizer and stagger it with enzymes)
Lalvin EC 1118 yeast 1 teaspoon (really rough estimate and I probably used too much, but at $1.49 a pack I think I will live)
1 teaspoon LD Carlson Yeast Energizer
Both the energizer and the yeast were rehydrated together for 30 minutes before pitching.

I plan on racking this onto about 1 pound of Raspberries just to see if it adds anything to the taste, so need an idea of how long I should leave the mead on those in the secondary as well, or just until it clears and is ready to bottle?

Thanks,

BC

leave it on the fruit till fermentation stops both times. then rack to a secondary and let it clear.

Back