Black Sambuca

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobbo

Reaction score
G'Day All

I am trying to track down a receipe for Black Sambuca. Can anyone supply one or point me in the right direction please? Cheers...Dobbo:D

Hi HB Bill and Gaelone, thanks for the replies. Black Sambuca has a similar taste to its clear brother but has more of a liqourice flavour. As Gaelone says, it is fantastic and in my opinion, far better then the clear sambuca. I have so far discovered that it is made with elderberries and liqourice but elderberries aren't readily available here so am looking for alternatives. Cheers...Dobbo

Dobbo said:
Hi HB Bill and Gaelone, thanks for the replies. Black Sambuca has a similar taste to its clear brother but has more of a liqourice flavour. As Gaelone says, it is fantastic and in my opinion, far better then the clear sambuca. I have so far discovered that it is made with elderberries and liqourice but elderberries aren't readily available here so am looking for alternatives. Cheers...Dobbo
Black Sambucca sounds like 'Pernod and Black(currant)' How do you even get alcohol in Saudi? I thought they were pretty strict even with ex pats/etc?

You make it. My sister-in-law's and her ex used to work/live in SA for a couple of years. Said most everyone had to make their own booze/wine/beer.

Hi Guys
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Firstly thanks to Gaelone for the link, will give that a go. Secondly, alcohol is "illegal" in Saudi but as 2nd Street Brewery wrote, we make our own. But it is an intereting fact that Saudi Arabia is the 5th largest importer of Johnny Walker, not bad when alcohol is supossed to be illegal. Anyway thanks again to you all, if I come up with a successful receipe for my beloved Black Sambuca I'll post it for anyone interested.

Cheers....Dobbo

Number 1,your going to need a still:DThe stuff is like 40%
If you have a still,just make a sugar wash and run till you get a nice neutral vodka and then buy the essence and flavour it.
That is the easiest way to make the stuff and its pretty bloody good;)You will also have to add some glucose
Cheers JD

Black Sambuca
1 litre alcohol (40%abv)
1 litre (4 cups) of ripe elderberries
1/8 tsp anise essential oil (15 drops or use equivalent pure aniseed extract from Supermarket)
1/8 tsp pure licorice root extract
strip of lemon peel
2 cups of granulated sugar (can be in form of invert syrup)
1 tsp glycerine (for smoothness)
Macerate the elderberries in alcohol until it becomes a characteristic dark color, then add sugar, anise, licorice, lemon peel and macerate for 30 days. Strain.

Black Sambuca
1 litre alcohol (40%abv)
1/8 tsp anise essential oil (15 drops or use equivalent pure aniseed extract from Supermarket)
strip of lemon peel
Macerate the elderberries in alcohol until it becomes a characteristic dark color, then add sugar, anise, licorice, lemon peel and macerate for 30 days. Strain.
Do I wait 30 days put sambuca in cuboards then strain into bottles

Black Sambuca
1 litre alcohol (40%abv)
strip of lemon peel
What it in plastic bucket for 30 days please

Back