How to keep it cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found someone locally who was selling off grains and hops from a brewery. The owners had a falling out. I grabbed two bags of 2row for 30 bucks each and hops for 8 bucks a pound. Snagged up some Citra, Centennial, Warrior and Cascade. Good to go for a while. Was a bit concerned with the quality (you never know how long they've been sitting) but all is good.

I sent emails to the LHBS I've always used (that is now 100 miles away, but near my daughter's house) and one that is only about 40 miles away to ask about 2-row bags. They both quoted me $55 for a 55# bag. I think buying it by the pound I have been paying $1.79 so the savings would be substantial. Guess what my next purchase is going to be....

I sent emails to the LHBS I've always used (that is now 100 miles away, but near my daughter's house) and one that is only about 40 miles away to ask about 2-row bags. They both quoted me $55 for a 55# bag. I think buying it by the pound I have been paying $1.79 so the savings would be substantial. Guess what my next purchase is going to be....

Even that's a little high for base malt... But not outrageous. I'd expect to pay probably mid-$40s for domestic 2-row.

You may want to check if either store offers an AHA discount (and if it applies to bulk grain).

Back