Yeast suspension in a wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAnimator

Reaction score
Just tried my Northern Brewer extract honey weizen. Was wondering about what seems to be a heavy amount of yeast which is almost in suspension or is VERY slow to settle back out. There does NOT appear to be anything off with the flavors - although I am fairly new at this. I know wheats are typically cloudy, but this seems a little heavy.

My gravities were 1.050/1.010, so I think I hit them okay. This sat in primary for 18 days, secondary for 16, and bottle-conditioned for the past 30. Carbonation and head seem good. There is some yeast leftover in the bottle as expected. Beer tastes JUST a bit on the thin side, but that could be the "American" part of this wheat. I used Safale WB-06 yeast. And finally, this particular bottle was part of split 5-gal batch which was divided 2/3gal. In the 3-gal, I added some strained, lemon-infused vodka.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator

Wheat beer are supposed to have lots of yeast in suspension, that's one of the reasons folks like them. SO they use lower flocculating yeast.

It's not my scene, but wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy.

Wheat beer are supposed to have lots of yeast in suspension, that's one of the reasons folks like them. SO they use lower flocculating yeast.

It's not my scene, but wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy.

If it is supposed to be like that, then I am very happy. :mug:

Back