Newby question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeman

Reaction score
Allright, I'm getting ready to cook up my first batch of mead. I will be using a 5 gallon carboys as my primary and secondary fermenters. I'm using a recipe kit purchased from midwest supplies, and in their instructions they say that when it is transferred into the sencondary fermenter, to be sure there is only 1 inch of headspace between the mead and airlock. I am assuming I just add water to bring it up to this point???

Allright, I'm getting ready to cook up my first batch of mead. I will be using a 5 gallon carboys as my primary and secondary fermenters. I'm using a recipe kit purchased from midwest supplies, and in their instructions they say that when it is transferred into the sencondary fermenter, to be sure there is only 1 inch of headspace between the mead and airlock. I am assuming I just add water to bring it up to this point???

Yes you can do this with preboiled/cooled water. A bit of headspace will be fine bu too much can invite oxidation over the long haul.

Late to add this, I know, but i know alot of people in the wine world, add boiled/cleaned marbles to take up space. Since the glass marbles are inert, they will not react to the wine, and will do a great job of taking up space.

I know i do this, if you are worried about watering down the mead/wine.

I read somewhere that if you can put C02 into the headspace to displace oxygen, it greatly reduces the need to minimize headspace as a protection against oxygen.

But I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Maybe hold your breath for 2 minutes and then blow into the carboy? :D

Either with a container of co2 or some dry ice will do.

*Edit I of course am not telling people to put dry ice in their meads, but merely use it as a source for co2 as it sublimates into gas.

Back