Pumpkin Pail ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrufbrewer

Reaction score
Well I started a batch of pumpkin beer. Wanted to get as much as I could from the grocery store. I did get a pack of yeast and an oz of hops from the brew store.
2 cans 24oz purre golden pumpkin
1 quart of dark molasses
2 ibs brown surgar
2ibs flacked barley
1.25 ibs oats
Tblspn allspice
1/2 Tblspn cinamon
1 oz Mt.Hood hops
1pk Noghtingham yeast

So I started with the grain in a bag and broght 3gal water to 160, added pumpkin purree let steep 30min, removed oats n barly, added molassess, brought to boil, The foam was thick, tall and orange/yellow and stuck around for a good half hour, 1/4oz hops 15 min into boil,boilded another 45min added 2ibs brown surgar,1/2oz hops,cinamon and all spice, boiled 15 min.Turned off boil, added last 1/4oz hops, and lest rest/cool to 75-80ish. Pitched yeast.
I took a small taste, just like pumpkin pie, with a bit of a bite at the end from molasses and hops, but have a feeling its gona mellow out, Its realy bubbling away. The yeast started goin crazy just a few hours after pitch.

I think it important to say all but the hops and yeast are from grown/made local from the area here in Washington, but Mt.hood is not far from here.
Should be done just in time for Halloween!

Where's the base malt? Are you using DME or LME and something to convert the flaked stuff? What you are showing and describing is not beer. I believe you need enzymes from a base malt to to convert the flaked barley and oats. At the very least they need to be mashed. If you did as described all you did is add starch. You did not add any fermentables. The only fermentables you show are the molasses and sugar.

O sorry i massed the oats and barley took an Iodine test after an hour n half, The beer came out ok, has a bit of a bite from the molasses, but every one who has tried it liked it and asked for another so I guess it worked out:tank:

Back