Final gravity too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin stout on October 23rd. My original gravity was really close at 1.060 (1.059 anticipated). My expected final gravity, according to the Hopville recipe calculator, was 1.017. I checked it a few days ago, and it was at 1.021. I checked again today, and it was holding steady at 1.021. What would cause such a discrepancy? I really would rather not wait another week to bottle it, because I wanted to bring some home for Thanksgiving dinner. Any advice?

I used WLP013 (London Ale) at around 72*F. I don't have much control over the temperature, but all my previous batches have done fine fermenting in my apartment at around that temp.

WLP013 is said to have an attenuation of 67-75% so your FG isn't that unexpected. Could even be the result of a couple of degrees higher than expected mash temp or too much DME or crystal depending on how you brewed this and with what ingredients.

FWIW, predicted FG's depend on too many variables and can be way off.

Ok, so that's just to be expected with this yeast? It's been almost 3 weeks in fermentation, so it should be safe to bottle now, right? Should I be worried about bottle bombs?

Give it a swirl to rouse up some yeast and check it in a week. Time is only going to help your beer. If it's still the same in a week, bottle it.

Back