Thin triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
So my Belgian triple is starting to get tasty, but it is very, very thin.

I used "Belgian pale ale" as my base malt, along with some munich and cara-pils.

My beer fermented thouroughly, and I have a thin, although tasty, 10.3% ABV beer.

What can I do to make the next batch more malty?

I agree with bradsul; without seeing your recipe and procedure on how you made you brew, we really can't give a definitive answer. For starters, if you want a maltier brew, mash around 155 or so, w/o letting it go below 152. That way, you will get more unfermentable sugars left in the wort, leading to a maltier brew. Also, go with a strain of yeast that is highly attenuative; if you choose a strain that won't ferment quite as high (say maybe 70% attenuation vs. 75% attenuation), your brew will be more maltier. Post your recipe and procedure and we can give you better advice.

The problem mashing higher is you won't get the low gravity that is one of the keys to a good tripel. I'd like to hear your starting and final gravities, is it just too dry for your tastes?

Latest posts

Back