Grain mill for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to do 2.5 gallon BIAB batches and would like to start buying larger quantities of grain and grind it myself. What does everyone recommend for a grain mill? My first batch only used 5 lbs of grain, so if I have to manually crank it, I think I will be ok with that. I don't make that many batches either, so I don't want to pay too much for a mill. I do about 1 batch per month.

Thanks
Todd

I recommend the schmidling malt mill ..btw - what size pot do you use for BIAB ? Is an 8G big enough for a 2.5G batch ?

I recommend the schmidling malt mill ..btw - what size pot do you use for BIAB ? Is an 8G big enough for a 2.5G batch ?

I'm no expert on this, but one of the beer smith pod casts he talks with someone about that. What I recall from the podcast is that the in general recomend x2 volume for the BIAB - so a 2.5 gallon would be a 5 gallon pot - roughly. Someone in the forums has posted his BIAB pics, and it was for a 5 gallon batch he uses 2 4 gallon pots

I use a corona mill and it works great.. at $25 it's good and cheap too !

I used a 5.5 gallon brew pot for my first batch. I had 5 lbs of grain and added about 4 gallons of water. My OG didn't turn out the best, but I hit my volume really well. I was planning on making 24 bottles and filled 23 and 3/4 of a bottle.

+1

Lots of us use it (including Charlie Papazian) there's a detailed thread about it here.

Does this work well for BIAB method? I was told that the grain has to be milled finer. Does this have an adjustment for that?

Thanks, I haven't read through the whole post yet, but will.
Where do you buy these? When I searched google or amazon for this, I didn't really see anything called Corona. I did see a Grizzly mill that looks the same. Is this a brand name or a type of mill?

Back