Couple of Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexun

Reaction score
Greetings and salutations,

I'm curious about a couple of things as I embark upon my first kegging experience:

1. About how long will a 5 lb CO2 bottle last with forced carbing? Conversely, how long will it last if carbing is done naturally inside the keg?

2. If you've put all of your batch in a keg, is it possible to bottle some up later from the carbed keg (like, to take to a friends, etc.).

Many thanks!
BT

1. about 6 kegs if force carbing

2. yes, buy a beer gun or build one, search for the "we dont need no stinking beer gun thread.

The "beer guns" can be a bit messy till ya get the hang of it. If the pressure is really low and the beer is not overly carbonated, I have found I can fill bottles right from the tap. I like to bottle up the last bit of a keg, so that I can tap a fresh one, and it's nice to have a few bottles on hand of old batches.
As for taking beer to friends house, I use 1/2 gallon growlers from my local micro brewery. Some times I will attach a rubber hose to the tap that just touches the bottom of the growler, which can also help with keeping it from foaming up. If I'm going to drink it with in a day or two, I don't bother with sanitizing. I just run some cold water on the growler to chill the glass, fill it up and go takes like 2 mins.

I use a counter pressure filler to fill bottles off the keg for competition. Works great flushes the bottle with co2 and then fills it under pressure so the carbonation is retained.

For short term storage I just put a tube on the faucet.

My fridge doesn't fit 5 gallon kegs so we had to drop the small fortune to get a 3 gallon keg. It works out nicely. I keg 3 gallons and bottle 2 gallons. Since I don't know the right amount of priming sugar to use, I just went with carb pills. Drop 3-4 depending on the type and cap it. I usually get a couple 6 packs out of the remaining beer and the carb pills make it easy.

Back