Lagunitas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyeary90

Reaction score
What are you thoughts on this brewery? I've only tried their Hop Stoopid double IPA, and I must admit, it is the best IPA I have ever drank, period. Something about 104 IBU's worth of hoppy goodness makes my taste buds orgasm. Anyways my liquor store has a wide variety of Lagunitas' different beers in stock and I was wondering what you all suggest I try next. Just to let you know I'm a huge IPA guy, and I tend to not like stouts (though there are a few, like Avery's Czar, that I think are absolutely fabulous)

I am a big fan of hop stupid too after having a bomber the other weekend. I had one before was was like ehh... but something has changed with my taste buds.

Anyways, their regular IPA is more like a hoppy APA weighing in at 1.059 OG and like 49 IBUs but is is still tasty.

They light big beers too, if you can get their Imperial Red, get it and I am sure you will love it.

It is amazing! and when you go you get to drink beer before the tour :D. oh you were talking about their beer. Yeah it is all amazing ;)

I just bought a 6er of the Imperial Red, it is in my top 5 right now.

I have liked every Lagunitas beer I have tried... Except hairy eyeball barleywine.

Everything else I have tried has been very good though.

Lagunitas is awesome. Hop Stoopid, Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale, Lil Extra Sumpin Sumpin Ale, Hairy Eyeball, Undercover Shutdown Ale, Maximus, IPA, Imperial Red, etc. All their high gravity stuff is awesome. They are pretty affordable too, even for me and I live near Chicago.

I actually liked Hairy Eyeball quite a bit.

If I remember correctly I drank one soon after it came out. It tasted a little robitussin-y to me. I have another bottle in the basement thats probably 6 months old, I figured maybe it would be better with some age. I am willing to give it another shake. :mug:

Their 10% Barley Wine is OMFG!!! Had some at the KLCC MicroBrew Festival a few days ago and fell in love.

They don't use screw tops any longer. It might just take a moment to get to you on pop top

I was a big fan of their anniversary brew with the zappa label "were only in it for the money". Belgian tripel, light on the spice, but big on flavor. I emailed for recipe inspiration to info@ and never got a response.

Hehe, that's funny this was posted.

I have 1/2 a sixer of hairy eyeball left. Very smooth. Probably one of the smoothest BW if it is. I don't see though where it says it's a barley wine, it's a seasonal ale (which is released after the season.... stoners..:cross:).

I had the Zappa belgian tripel earlier today. It was great. Not quite as great as a previous Zappa I had (Kill Ugly Radio) which was amazing and memorable.

Last night I had their imperial stout. OMG it was de-frickin-licious. About as good as Old Rasputin. Nice and dry. Maybe I was just in the mood.

The little sumpin extra is fantastic. Really fantastic. Look for that one.

I had a sixer of IPA last week and thought it was good.

Will still buy more if beer shop doesn't have anything better.

So, what's in my glass right now? Rogue Dirtois Black Lager. Nothing to do but drink well, lately.
:mug:

I'm not a hophead (though I do like hoppy beers) and prefer a nicely balanced beer. I really like the IPA, but not fond of the Pale Ale - not balanced enough for me.

I'm a wimp, I guess. :eek:

Man, I love their Maximus, but wasn't too impressed with their regular IPA. I saw Hop Stupid on sale for $4/bomber recently, so I'll have to see if that's still in effect and pick one up.

I am lucky to drive right by this brewery EVERY day... I dont know how many times I have taken the tour. All beers from Lagunitas are delightful.

I'm a fan of Lagunitas. I first tried it in Upstate New York where at a good beer store you could easily find half a dozen of their different brews. Then I moved to Oregon and loved the fact I could pick up a bomber of their latest Frank Zappa series at 7/11 for 2.79. Then I moved to SoCal.

Can someone explain to me why a California beer is harder to find in Los Angeles than Ithaca, NY?

I thought I'd bump this as I was going to make a new thread anyway. We've started getting Lagunitas here in NC (I hadn't seen them until a few months ago) and I have loved every beer I've tried from them. The first one I got was their Seasonal Dopel Weizen which I thought was fantastic (a great first impression I must say). I hadn't had a chance to go to our local craft brew store (there wasn't one close to me until very recently) but my grocery store started carrying the 6 packs of their Maximus IPA and then the bombers of Hop Stoopid, both of which are incredible. I think this is one of my favorite America breweries now.

At some point I'd love to try to clone Maximus or Hop Stoopid, but I'm only extract brewing for now so it might be a while. I just thought I'd bump this and spread the Lagunitas love. :tank:

I liked their Hop Stoopid IPA, it was the first i've ever had of theirs, but the description on the side was just plain stupid!

They are hit and miss for me. I really like all of the seasonal offerings as well as Maximus and Censored. But a lot of their beers seem a little one dimensional.

overall I enjoy a lot of what they put out.

Hop Stoopid is in my top five. I found the IPA to have a strange taste and aroma that did not suit me.

I really like their IPA when it is fresh. It really doesn't do well with age. They don't bottle date, so I'm always scared to buy it.

I also like the pale ale, but it is hard to find around here.

The Lagunitas Sucks was nothing short of epic. Fantastic beer.

I just tried the Imperial Red as well. Really liked that. I also enjoy most of their limited releases. WTF is really good.

Did not like that Doppel Weizen, and I find the Cappuccino Stout to be too sweet.

Latest posts

Back