Dehusked Carafa - safe to use food processor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvb

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow homebrewers!

I just received my shipment of grains from Northern Brewer and it looks like I goofed on one of the items. I ordered everything crushed except for some dehusked Carafa I, which is a problem because I don't have a mill.

Since the carafa is dehusked and I am only using a pound in the recipe, might it be okay to use a food processor if I just "pulse" the blades enough to break things up without actually grinding?

You'll be fine using a blender. When I make stouts I grind my roasted barley in a coffee grinder and it works great. This technique is even recommended in Brewing Classics Styles.

I use a coffee grinder on Carafa all the time. You can minimize problems by adding those grains at the end of mash before you start to vorlauf.

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like I can't do too much damage with a blender or food processor. That's good news.

The Carafa is for a recipe you may have seen for a clone of Sam Adam's Holiday Porter. I made it last year and it turned out so well that I decided to make it again this year.

Latest posts

Back