Is my beer infected? Ive got pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nhadley

Reaction score
so my beer has seemed to be fermenting with krausen for over a month now so i have grown suspicious, it is strong and is brewed with chocolate, coffee and chili peppers, what appeared to be the krausen hasnt changed for weeks now, there still are bubbles but this doesnt look right

the link is
http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/nhadley1/

the picture didn't upload(or isn't mac compatible). just a small box with a '?' in it. sounds odd to have a krausen for that long. how did you add the chocolate, coffee and chili peppers? can you repost the pic?

Fermenting at 64 degrees, cold steeped coffee beans, also french pressed some coffee, ran both of these through coffee filters then added all the liquid to a pot of boiling chocolate, all of this was boiling for roughly 15 minutes then added to fermenter, right after adding wort, chili peppers were added to last 10 minutes of my boil of wort, didnt take any gravity and used all extract

Looks completely normal to me. Sometimes the krausen never falls. Take a hydrometer sample. Even though you didn't take an original reading, because it's extract you're probably pretty close to your target.

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Just curious, what strain of yeast did you pitch? whenever I use wyeast 3944 the krausen never seems to completely fall.

I've certainly never had 05 do that for me. Doesn't mean it can't happen though. Use your nose and taste buds to check.

I had s-05 do that to me in my December brew. I made 2 5g batches one with s-04 and one with s-05. The s-05 came out like that and had a funky smell. I quickly cold crashed and kegged. Its fine now.

Looks like a Mr Beer fermenter...based on the notches in the threads the lid screws onto. I did have some infection problems with mine, I believe it was partly due to the fact that the lid doesn't totally seal, hence why an airlock isn't necessary. I switched to a 3 gallon carboy for the small test batches, which was all I used it for anyway. If it does end up being infected you can use the spigot to transfer from below the infection, just attach a piece of tubing to avoid oxygenation. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back